Happy Veteran's Day!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
And a heart-felt "thank you" to all the vets here on LTG, and everywhere else...

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Heard a wonderful comment on the news this morning; "Thank you isn't enough".
Then, because it does bring a a chuckle, a local DJ did a parody of a public service announcement advising vets that on this, their day, Post Offices, Libraries, Motor Vehicle Departments, and other Offices of Public Service will be closed in their honor, and that parking in front of all those locations will be free since they can't use 'em anyway..

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Agreed!! Cheers to ALL veterans, those who are with us, and those who came before!! THANK YOU for your service and sacrifice!! :encouragement:

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
*I inadvertently added this to the WW I post but I think I'll post it here, too, because it bears repeating.

The most insightful comment I've heard today:
"The best way to honor our veterans is to not make anymore."

Joe

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
*I inadvertently added this to the WW I post but I think I'll post it here, too, because it bears repeating.

The most insightful comment I've heard today:
"The best way to honor our veterans is to not make anymore."

Joe

Amen.

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The thank you comments are very much appreciated. And I mean that.

I'm deeply offended; however, by the 'insightful' comment' stated above. Those of you who have been here a while may recall my account many years ago, of the 'greeting' received at the airport in San Francisco upon returning home from my first Vietnam tour of duty. The eggs, tomatoes, water balloons and jeers became common place events to those of us fortunate enough to make it home. To this day, Vietnam vets greet each other with a brotherly 'Welcome Home'...

If you didn't serve there, you have no right to contradict my statement, and although statements like these hurt, even today, I'll defend your right to freely make offensive remarks to whomever you wish. And as long as we're around, most vets will do the same...

For those with the unseen battle scar: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=867145&songID=12435551

Scratch sends...

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The thank you comments are very much appreciated. And I mean that.

I'm deeply offended; however, by the 'insightful' comment' stated above. Those of you who have been here a while may recall my account many years ago, of the 'greeting' received at the airport in San Francisco upon returning home from my first Vietnam tour of duty. The eggs, tomatoes, water balloons and jeers became common place events to those of us fortunate enough to make it home. To this day, Vietnam vets greet each other with a brotherly 'Welcome Home'...

If you didn't serve there, you have no right to contradict my statement, and although statements like these hurt, even today, I'll defend your right to freely make offensive remarks to whomever you wish. And as long as we're around, most vets will do the same...

For those with the unseen battle scar: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=867145&songID=12435551

Scratch sends...

Sorry, I'm a little confused. If you are referring to Joe's comment I fail to see the wrong.

I too am a Vietnam vet. I too remember the (not) welcomes home.

But I agree with the idea that it would be nice if we remembered what vets went through and allowed it never to happen again.

Yes, how many times must the cannon balls fly
Before they're forever banned?

Last edited:

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm a little confused. If you are referring to Joe's comment I fail to see the wrong.
I too am a Vietnam vet. I too remember the (not) welcomes home.
But I agree with the idea that it would be nice if we remembered what vets went through and allowed it never to happen again.

Yes, how many times must the cannon balls fly
Before they're forever banned?
Thanks, Rick, for understanding the comment as it was intended.

And Ken, there's absolutely no allusion to Vietnam or any other conflict in the history of this country or any country for that matter. There's absolutely nothing offensive about the concept of having no more veterans. A world at peace is what it implies.

I'm a veteran as well and I love you, brother, but you missed the point in my post, and I have to say that it makes me a little sad. :numbness:

Joe

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ken, I'm a little confused by your statement as well. I've gone back through and ..... I find only well-wishes and good vibes from this particular post. Can you enlighten me?

gilded

Reaction score
Hopefully, this is not a digression, but I want to take this opportunity to let both old friends and new friends here at the forum know that I had the privilege of playing music (with my band), for the sixth straight year, at our local Veterans Day
Ceremony/Observance.

We gave about 80 Korean War Veterans a medal and a Texas Flag, apiece, played some music for them, fed 'em BBQue, brought in a Major General to speechify them, the works!

The short version is that we all had a blast! I invite all my friends here who have bands to see if it's possible to participate in this kind of endeavor next year. You'll be glad you did!

And Scratch and all the other Veterans here, thank you for your service!!!

Harry aka gilded

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
I don't know exactly what to say these days. Sometimes I'm tired of the "Welcome Home" banter; especially from non-Vets. I was quite simply, LOST, when I came home. I think maybe many of us were and we needed something then. But I get it so I just say, "Thanks, it's good to be here". I'm not quite sure why Ken was upset but then again so many things touch us all so differently. What I do know is that the American pride and support for Veterans in all the small towns around Ohio brings tears to my eyes. Hell, we still mention God and country in our school systems here. And it was a wonderful tribute to Veterans that I attended with Drake, one of my 15 grandchildren, on Tuesday. Drake's Dad is serving and couldn't be there but Drake was so proud to have me and I was damned proud of every student who showed show much genuine love for the special Veteran in their life. That's all that is important to me anymore. It's the only influence I have on the world, the only place I'm taken seriously..............how I raise my family.
VeteransAppreciationDay.jpg

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Doc, great photo! 15 grandkids?!?! Oh my... I'm pretty sure I'll never see that.

Ken... Come back!!! I think you misunderstood someone's comment!!!

BTW, guys, thank you all for your service. I was actually active-duty Air Force as a cadet in 1980, but that hardly counts. I'm the only person I ever met who (officially) was a veteran at 17 years old! :)

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Doc, very cool. 15 grandkids! Wow, Christmas must be an adventure! How do you keep track of birthdays?

I've got four, and the oldest is now living with a guy who has two boys, so they would be my "kinda - sorta - almost" great-grandchildren. (I'm still having trouble coming to grips with that).

Be that as it may, they are family. And yes, it's all good.

Reaction score
I know I am late to this discussion. Just wanted to say Doc I really like your hat and you have lots to be proud of. I was there and so understand Ken's feelings, sounds like several of you here were. I must say that in my heart everyone of you are my brother and I feel your pain but even more you are important to me !!
Dave

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
This is my last post on this thread since it's been skewed by a total misunderstanding of a quote that I posted on Veterans Day. There was NO intention to hurt anyone's feelings, but merely to point out that there is a better world that's possible. If you simply read the quote and think about it, you will understand what it means. I'm a veteran and I understand what the quote means.

It's not about Vietnam, Korea, Anzio, Shiloh, etc., etc. It's about living in peace in a world without war.

Thanks to all the vets for their service!! :numbness:

Joe

Joe

Reaction score
This is my last post on this thread since it's been skewed by a total misunderstanding of a quote that I posted on Veterans Day. There was NO intention to hurt anyone's feelings, but merely to point out that there is a better world that's possible. If you simply read the quote and think about it, you will understand what it means. I'm a veteran and I understand what the quote means.

It's not about Vietnam, Korea, Anzio, Shiloh, etc., etc. It's about living in peace in a world without war.

Thanks to all the vets for their service!! :numbness:

Joe

Joe:
My reply was in no way about you as I think I understood what you were saying. I really liked Doc's hat and I was just wanting to reply that all the vets but especially the Vietnam vets hold a special spot in my heart. :pride::pride:
Dave

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Joe,

Guess I'm oversensitive about some things. I think you may understand.

Still crazy after all these years...