Rare Bird -- Guild JV72 -- Pics finally and long story

Reaction score
I just joined the Guild Forum. I own a Guild JV-72. I am a little confused as to how many they actually made and why the guitar isn't very well known. I also own a D-40, D-50, and D-55. The JV-72 outplays all of them.

frenchie

Reaction score
Welcome Breighter, and another Guild JV!

Guild made 23 JV-72s, 19 in 1994, and 20-23 in 95. It is a very rare model, as is it`s plainer brother the JV-52, of which there are 28. I would guess that this rarity is the reason, the model is less well known.

Please let us know the story of yours, and post some mandatory photos.

Welcome again,

Steve.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am posting some pictures of my Guild JV72 number 21

Reaction score
Glenn here are the photo's of my JV72

Hey Spencer,

Cool!~ (I have the other JV72.)

Determining a value depends on a number of factors. With only two JV72s accounted for, scarcity counts for something, but condition counts for quite a lot, as Steve notes.

Yours has to be in better condition than mine was when I got it. Mine had been poorly maintained and amateurishly repaired. Fortunately almost everything that had been done to it was un-doable or reparable and since I got the guitar for nothing I felt fine about investing in having it made playable again.

That said, as scarce as it is and even with the repairs, I'd be pleased if I could get two grand for it.

Yes -- I'd love to see photos of yours too!

Glenn

IMG_0094_zps4ee5nlz1.jpg.html

IMG_0095_zps41q5wnd5.jpg.html

http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/Spencer_Mallinson/media/IMG_0099_zpso6rgobc8.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

wileypickett

Reaction score
Lovely! Looks like you took lots better care of yours than whoever had mine before I got it!

Glad I invested in having it made playable though, as it's a great sounding guitar.

So, we now have three JV72s accounted for here on LTG!

Yours is #21
Mine is #6

Anyone know what # the third one was?

Glenn

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Re-reading this story again this morning, on 3rd cup of coffee, dawns on me that Glenn's perseverance is quite similar to that of the Guild brand. I would have given up by then. Nice to own 1/23 however.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
You 2, or 3 or however many of you there are on this forum are lucky folks indeed. I'm a daily checker of Reverb, Ebay and other sites and I don't ever recall a JV 72 being listed anywhere. Good for ya'll.

frenchie

Reaction score
That`s a stunning looking JV-72 GTRLover. It seems the JV family is starting to grow on here.

Out of interest what kind of bracing do you have? My JV-52 has the same bracing as most Westerly made F50r/JF-55 models, in that it is unscalloped bracing with three tone bars, and three small braces on the outside of the main X brace per side.

Steve.

wileypickett

Reaction score
You 2, or 3 or however many of you there are on this forum are lucky folks indeed. I'm a daily checker of Reverb, Ebay and other sites and I don't ever recall a JV 72 being listed anywhere. Good for ya'll.

Congrats Richard and welcome to the club!