Rare Bird -- Guild JV72 -- Pics finally and long story

70man

Reaction score
We have waited a real long time for this story, the pictures prove it did happen.Man that is one awesome spectacular guitar. I'm really please for you.Wonderful story greater ending ,beautiful pictures , Thank you for sharing it.It was worth the weight.Will be the meanest looking photo the pair of guitars together, something else to look forward to.Thanks Glenn
70man
Stu

edgarmadhook

Reaction score
Amazing drama of neglect, sheer human idiocy, patience, courage, vision and redemption. Glenn, you win.

⌃ This!!! ⌃

The old ship-to address on one of the boxes was for that nearby apartment complex, which is how the box ended up there. Now what are the odds that a box that had been SENT TO someone living a half mile from me in Massachusetts would, one day, somehow, find its way to Minneapolis, where this idiot would pack my guitar in it, and ship it back to within a half mile of its original home?!

These things happen :)

Not exactly the same but I lost my phone in the back of a taxi in Puerto Escondido, Mexico.
I gave it up for dead & enjoyed the rest of my holiday, returning to London 4 weeks later.
I got most of the value of the lost phone back through insurance & got a new phone free with my contract anyway.
Then, much later on & totally out of the blue, I got an email from a lady saying she had my phone & would I like it back.
She'd found it.....in the back of a taxi.....in Geneva, Switzerland!!! This was at least 3 months after I'd lost it.

What are the chances, eh? Heheheheh!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Glenn, in answer to your question earlier in the thread, I too have never heard/seen another. I'm pretty sure there isn't another on LTG. At least I don't recall anyone ever talking about it. My memory kind of sucks these days though, so this isn't saying very much. :)

Too bad you missed getting this one to Pete, but the fact that you got all that quality time doing that stuff yourself is precious. This one will, no doubt, be a keeper for you.

70man

Reaction score
Hey Glenn , here is an Old posting,Thanks for fulfilling a wish list 70man
user-online.png
Senior Member Join DateApr 2013LocationNorth Island ,NZPosts430

Well there is a list.....no particular order A D65 20 made
D 80 24 made
D100 148 made Includes carved neck models
Dv72 197 made one on craigslist/one on ebay for sale
Dv73 52 made
Dv74 22 made one of craigslist for sale
Dv76 19 made
Dv82 1 made

Above are all Dreadnoughts.
They are Sitka tops.
Indian rosewood sides and Backs

Then there are Jumbos ............
With Sitka tops
and again Rosewood back and sides
JF 100 127 made
JF 100c 46 made
GV70 59 made
JV52 28 made
JV 72 23 made

That is a six string "Grail" list ,You can Choose your Grail

I would like to see a picture of a JV 72 ,so it would probably be a Rosewood /Sitka Jumbo,
with the TURQUOISEor MALACHITE inlays up the neck,
round the sound hole
stone Guild inlay
Now that I would like to see​

Current .....
1982 Westerly D-70NT Blue label
1981 Westerly D-70NT Alaska
1995 Westerly JF100-NT-CRV
KEN The Ted Thompson Star Guitar
and some other brands

frenchie

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum GTRlover, and what a revelation to make in your opening post!

That now means we have two certified JV-72 owners (You and Wileypicket), and two JV-52 owners (Me & JCWU), on the forum.

You know it is manatory to post photos, and plenty of them, we expect nothing less.

As for value, a lot will depend on condition, but I would guess similar to a decent DV-72/73.

Welcome again Spencer, and enjoy your time here.

Steve.

Last edited:

wileypickett

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I just signed up on your Guild site. I too have a Guild JV72 the label says JV 72-NT HG S/N FJ-72-0021 it's a really outstanding and beautiful guitar. Does anyone have an idea what it may be worth? Spencer

Hey Spencer,

Cool!~ (I have the other JV72.)

Determining a value depends on a number of factors. With only two JV72s accounted for, scarcity counts for something, but condition counts for quite a lot, as Steve notes.

Yours has to be in better condition than mine was when I got it. Mine had been poorly maintained and amateurishly repaired. Fortunately almost everything that had been done to it was un-doable or reparable and since I got the guitar for nothing I felt fine about investing in having it made playable again.

That said, as scarce as it is and even with the repairs, I'd be pleased if I could get two grand for it.

Yes -- I'd love to see photos of yours too!

Glenn

Last edited:

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
As others have said, welcome to LTG!

I think Frenchie is correct... the best comparables are going to be the similarly adorned dreads in the DV-7X series...

The DV-72 is the closest match trim-wise. Recent DV-72s have sold for $2300-$2700, and maybe higher. I paid $2400 for mine (with rarer malachite trim). However, there were 10 time more DV-72s (~250) made than JV-72s (<25?). There were only ~50 DV-73s made... and they come up rarely for sale. I bought mine for $2500 a couple years ago, and I think that is still a good price. One listed recently on eBay for >$3000... it didn't sell thru eBay, so any final price is uncertain. Probably the closest in number made was the DV-74... only ~22 were made. I know of only one coming up for sale on Craigslist a few years back at ~$3800. I never saw that it sold at that price (it was listed multiple times).

So, if I was in the market for a JV-72 (and I am not)... I would probably consider somewhere in the $2500-$3000 to be a fair price for one in excellent condition, knocking that down for cosmetic blems (finish checks, nicks and dings) or structural issues (low saddle, worn frets), etc. (I would guess the bluebook value will be less... Guilds tend to be undervalued in the bluebook)

In reality, your JV-72 is worth whatever someone is willing to pay, and depends on a whole slew of market and personal factors... Case in point: Two DV-72s have sold in the last 6 weeks on eBay. The one I would consider to be in better structural cosmetic shape sold for ~$2300. The one with some finish checks and a couple other minor issues (that made it slightly lesser in condition) sold for ~$2700.

Last edited:

jcwu

Reaction score
For a point of comparison, the only other time I've seen a JV52 for sale, it was listed on Craigslist for $1300 for a few months, then dropped to $1200, then the last time I saw it, I think it was sitting at $1100. Might be too rare a model to catch much interest? I really like mine, even though it is a bit beat up finish-wise.

siddhartha

Reaction score
While I am happy you got the guitar, and the seller is DEFINITELY at fault here, I do wonder just how "fair" it is that eBay is out the $ for the entire transaction...

I'm not placing any blame on anyone, but you ended up with a guitar for "free" (minus your stress/time/temporary outage of $), the seller keeps their sale price, and eBay is out the cost of the transaction, for nothing they did wrong.

Am I missing something here, or does anyone else see this?

wileypickett

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I think you are missing something and something that is very much to eBay's credit (for a change) -- they acknowledged that they DID do something wrong in initially deciding in the seller's favor, and put their money where their mouth is in advising me to appeal their decision and then paying out of pocket to make right what they agreed was their error when I did.

Their marketing campaign has for years included a quote from their CEO to the effect "Get exactly the item you ordered or get a full refund, no questions asked." I was glad to see that this was not just sloganeering on their part.

They're a powerful organization and certainly could have told me to go pound sand -- nothing I could have done about it -- but they didn't.

There are a lot of things I don't like about eBay, but I give 'em credit for admitting fault and making good.

Glenn

siddhartha

Reaction score
No-I get that part. What I mean is that from eBay's point of view, they are compensating you in full for a guitar that never arrived, right?

(and again, I'm not criticizing you-it's more a discussion point).

Then, the guitar (for better or worse) did arrive, and eBay is still out their $. I do give them credit for refunding you, but then, the guitar did end up arriving.

That's all

wileypickett

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Siddartha -- don't back down, man -- it's an ethical question and one that gave me pause too!

My mom was the most ethical person I ever knew, sometimes exasperatingly so for me and my four sisters. But for her, the right thing was the only thing. Whenever I'm feeling ethically challenged, I can feel the gaze of my mom on me!

What would she have done in this situation? She would have phoned the person she talked to at eBay, informed them that the missing item arrived after all, and would have insisted on paying eBay their money back.

Which would have been fine if she'd gotten "exactly what she ordered," as per eBay's guarantee.

What I got was nothing remotely like what I ordered. What I bought (or rather Nora) was a guitar that, but for a few little dings, was supposedly in great shape, ready to play. What I got was a guitar with a dozen or more undislosed issues; completely unplayable.

If had, a la mom, called eBay and insisted on paying them back, and they'd let me, then I'd have been in the position of having to try to get the seller to take back the guitar and refund my money. It was at that point past the window of opportunity in which I was allowed to file a case; officially eBay had decided in the seller's favor. Even if eBay somehow erased all those roadblocks, I would have been left having to deal with a seller who'd already shown himself as completely dishonest -- a return and refund would have been a struggle.

And here is where I agree with eBay's decision to refund me out of pocket. They had decided in the seller's favor, thereby making it impossible for me to file a claim against the seller. I could only file a claim against eBay.

In thinking this way, perhaps I was salving whatever pangs of conscience I might have had, taking a less complicated road, motivated more by self interest than doing the right thing. If so, mea culpa, but I don't think in this instance mom would have been too ashamed of me.

Ironically, the only person who really won in this debacle was the dishonest seller who was never made accountable for their intentionally fraudulent ad and shoddy, shoddy service.

Ethical discussions are always interesting! What would you have done?

Glenn

Last edited:

siddhartha

Reaction score
Siddartha -- don't back down, man -- it's an ethical question and one that gave me pause too!

My mom was the most ethical person I ever knew, sometimes exasperatingly so for me and my four sisters. But for her, the right thing was the only thing. Whenever I'm feeling ethically challenged, I can feel the gaze of my mom on me!

What would she have done in this situation? She would have phoned the person she talked to at eBay, informed them that the missing item arrived after all, and would have insisted on paying eBay their money back.

Which would have been fine if she'd gotten "exactly what she ordered," as per eBay's guarantee.

What I got was nothing remotely like what I ordered. What I bought (or rather Nora) was a guitar that, but for a few little dings, was supposedly in great shape, ready to play. What I got was a guitar with a dozen or more undislosed issues; completely unplayable.

If had, a la mom, called eBay and insisted on paying them back, and they'd let me, then I'd have been in the position of having to try to get the seller to take back the guitar and refund my money. It was at that point past the window of opportunity in which I was allowed to file a case; officially eBay had decided in the seller's favor. Even if eBay somehow erased all those roadblocks, I would have been left having to deal with a seller who'd already shown himself as completely dishonest -- a return and refund would have been a struggle.

And here is where I agree with eBay's decision to refund me out of pocket. They had decided in the seller's favor, thereby making it impossible for me to file a claim against the seller. I could only file a claim against eBay.

In thinking this way, perhaps I was salving whatever pangs of conscience I might have had, taking a less complicated road, motivated more by self interest than doing the right thing. If so, mea culpa, but I don't think in this instance mom would have been too ashamed of me.

Ironically, the only person who really won in this debacle was the dishonest seller who was never made accountable for their intentionally fraudulent ad and shoddy, shoddy service.

Ethical discussions are always interesting! What would you have done?

Glenn

Thanks for your thoughtful response!

The part that answers it to me is this:

"And here is where I agree with eBay's decision to refund me out of pocket. They had decided in the seller's favor, thereby making it impossible for me to file a claim against the seller. I could only file a claim against eBay. "

So, looking at it this way, you did NOT receive what you ordered, and this was your only recourse.

And honestly, I asked initially because I don't know.

What would I do? Knowing myself, I'd probably have called eBay that day, paid them, but it wouldn't end there. I would be unsatisfied because now I was the one who was out the money, and would likely resent my decision to act so fast to refund eBay. In some ways, it's like going to a store, buying something, finding it's broken/not as advertised, and having the store say, "sorry-take it up with whomever manufactured it." Right/wrong, I wouldn't be happy.

Like I said, I am not placing value judgments. I honestly don't know how I'd end up resolving this one.

...and it's not right the seller ended up with their price, for a guitar not as advertised, shipped poorly (twice) and only ending up with you through chance.

Be well

jcwu

Reaction score
What is this, thoughtful discourse on what may have been initially a disagreement on ethics?

We don't have time for any of that. Why don't you guys start calling each other names and flame away??

(Tongue in cheek, of course. That exchange was salve for my Internet eyes. I've seen so much small disagreements just fall apart into open flame wars, this was so refreshingly different. Thank you both!)