No Belly, No Tone

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Those who know me here also know that I have an immense amount of respect and admiration for Dana Bourgeois and his guitars. He's an absolute master at the delicate balance between building a guitar heavy enough to endure, but light enough to sound good. My '98 cedar top Jumbo OM is a shining example; I call it the "Birdcage Maserati" because it's so light, and that balance is even trickier with a less rigid wood like cedar.

Anyhoo, here's what Dana had to say about belly and tone in the latest Acoustic Guitar magazine. The "screen shot" was taken by the man himself (from his Facebook page), too!

1909355_575257659268804_3671492116175969465_o.jpg

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great article, Sandy! Thanks for sharing that. It's a tightrope walk, balancing between built to last, and light and responsive. You can't really have both at the same time so... we make concessions. :encouragement:

Neal

Reaction score
It is true as well that humans may need a neck reset as they age. Also a knee reset, hip reset, etc.

Orthopedists are to humans what luthiers are to guitars. We all need tweaks now and then.

Personally, I went through a period in my early 50's when stuff started breaking. My orthopedist made a few beach house payments off of both of my hands and left elbow! But without those "tweaks" (which included reattaching my completely severed bicep tendon to my elbow), I can play guitar without pain. Oh, and make a living, too.

Neal