Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on Roland Cubes?

If you are looking for something small and portable I would consider a Fender Pro Jr. III. While it tends to break up at mid to high volumes, it should be loud enough to play with a drummer and some horns. I have one, and it sounds very good for jazz up to about a volume of 4 - 6 depending upon the guitar/pickups. I personally like the Roland Cube strictly on the clean channel for jazz. If considering the RC I would get the 60 or 80, but the 60 is only available used. The new Roland Blues Cube is supposed to be excellent, but it is $700-$900, and I have yet to play one.

Quote Originally Posted by guildman63 View Post
    If you are looking for something small and portable I would consider a Fender Pro Jr. III.
    Thx. I will have a look.

I am also watching a used Ibanez Wholetone WT80. A number of people online have likened this amp to a modernized Polytone. I haven't found anything negative about it, yet. And the Youtube clips look and sound good.

Edit: Found some people who don't like the WT80s. But then you can't please everyone.
    Last edited by houseisland; 10-24-2014 at 02:48 AM.

I've got a cube 60 that does about all I want in a nice lighter weight package, especially for hollow bodies.
    That's the way that the world goes 'round.You're up one day and the next you're down.
    It's half an inch of water and you think you're gonna drown.That's the way that the world goes 'round.
    - John Prine

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by houseisland View Post
    Edit: Found some people who don't like the WT80s. But then you can't please everyone.
    <veer>In the days before the internet there was well documented research that showed people who had a good experience with a product told three other people about the product whereas people who had a bad experience told seven. Add the internet and the observation is that people won't make the effort to provide a rating unless they really liked or hated it. Thus I have found that the most useful approach to online commentary is to read the negative reviews and see why people did not like something. An awful lot of people who make an honest effort to articulate why they don't like something manage to provide a lot of good information in the process. And some of their negatives might not apply to your expected use.

For example, "I really like the variety of amp models in the Line 6 LowDown Studio 110 and it cranks out enough volume for small venues but I am rating it a two because it's not loud enough when my drummer uses two bass drums and it won't fit into my backpack when I ride the motorcycle to gigs".
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    <veer>
    Not so much a veer as a well placed tangent.

The objections of the WT80 haters have to do with their perceptions of the muddy bassy sound sound from the amp. The haters seem to be in the minority. The incredulous (at the perception of muddy bassy sound) lovers seem to accuse the haters of not knowing how to use tone and EQ controls.

The used one here locally is in a very reputable shop, so I could go try it. It is a bit of a drive out the valley, though.

There are lots of easy kits around to build; from clean and simple to big and nasty. I've seen night train kits that look like a couple hours work. There's plenty of help on the board if it's your first build. Just sayin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4BYOJ1tc-k

If you can't laugh at yourself, someone else will do it for you.

1974 D40 "Big D"
    2010 Gretsch 6129 blue mother of toilet seat "Little Mother"
    2013 Newark St. Starfire III "Red"
    1980 Yamaha FG 331 "El Kabong"

Quote Originally Posted by griehund View Post
    There are lots of easy kits around to build; from clean and simple to big and nasty. I've seen night train kits that look like a couple hours work. There's plenty of help on the board if it's your first build. Just sayin.
    And a very interesting just sayin', it is, too. I am a person not smart enough to be afraid of a soldering iron.

Do you have links you could share?

Quote Originally Posted by tjmangum View Post
    I've got a cube 60 that does about all I want in a nice lighter weight package, especially for hollow bodies.
    Thanks. Else where I have read advice to stay away from the smaller cubes, and there seems to be greater suspicion of the X series - something of the why have they messed with a good thing nature.

There was a cheap Cube 60 up on CL here for all of about 2 hours before it disappeared. The seller was asking $75. Snooze, you loose, maybe.

I have a Bass Cube 60, early 80s. I like the tone a lot. Not enough power for competing with drums, though.

And when I plug an acoustic guitar into it, it actually sounds like an acoustic guitar!

Quote Originally Posted by houseisland View Post
    And a very interesting just sayin', it is, too. I am a person not smart enough to be afraid of a soldering iron.

Do you have links you could share?
    http://www.turretboards.com/
    http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/amp-kits
    https://tubedepot.com/products/tweed...m-tube-amp-kit
    https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits.htm

This is just a hand full. There are more. Our forum member coastie has a plan for an awesome champ but that's a "from scratch" build. I love mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4BYOJ1tc-k

If you can't laugh at yourself, someone else will do it for you.

1974 D40 "Big D"
    2010 Gretsch 6129 blue mother of toilet seat "Little Mother"
    2013 Newark St. Starfire III "Red"
    1980 Yamaha FG 331 "El Kabong"