Hatted Frau scores an Aristocrap.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
It's a 1957 aristocrat husk--no parts on it. Some Gibsonmonger painted the back and sides black and installed Gibson pups. When I get enough $Ameros, I'm going to restore it with correct parts and have it refinished. What do you think about putting a goldtop on it? Some Aristocrats (and maybe Freshpersons, for all I know) came with an original goldtop, so it would be correct.

The guitar hasn't arrived yet. I hope I'm not jinxing the deal by posting about it before it arrives.

Comments, opinions, advice?

Hatted Frau/Fatted Cow

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
congratulations!

I'd see how it plays and sounds when you get it. Maybe it'll be just fine the way it is, who knows?

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I've seen pics of it, Walter. It's a mess, although it was just refretted and the inlays restored, so I won't have any fondleboard problems.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Best of luck with the project Hat. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you!

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Congratulations - sounds like a fun project! I think a gold top would be cool, if you are refinishing it anyway, why not?

walrus

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Wally,

Normally I'm opposed to refinishing, especially if the problem is only wear. But not only the overcoat of black but also the original ice tea burst are worn away, so this thing looks terrible--black, ice tea, and wood showing.

With a gold top, I think the back and sides would look best with that transparent red that Guild often put on mahogany--usually on startfires but also on some Aristocrats.

HF the Aristocat

Jeff_L

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Almost as fine as Coastie in a bikini.

Now there's a picture I didn't need to see!

Darryl, if you're going to have it professionally refinished, and it was an iced-tea sunburst to begin with, how about doing the burst over? It would be authentic and original-restored.

Jeff

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Jeff,

I forgot to mention that the pup holes are routed, so they have to be restored to original size by putting in pieces of wood, and I don't want that to show.

Anyway, it will be years before I have the $Ameros to do it.

jcwu

Reaction score
But not only the overcoat of black but also the original ice tea burst are worn away, so this thing looks terrible--black, ice tea, and wood showing.

Was that a Fender relic job? Cuz they actually do that on purpose, you know. Exposing the underlayer of color, to show that the guitar was "originally a sunburst and then painted over, wow the history!!"

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, goldtop sounds like an excellent idea with those necessary reapirs! But I wouldn't use Cherry with gold, use the original brown for the neck and back.
Walter had posted those pictures of a 50's one before:

GoltopAristocrat_zpsfe65e838.jpg

Ralf

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
JCUW,

LOL. I too am no fan of reliced guitars. I will leave mine as an obvious refin--new finish, old parts. Maybe I'll call it Cher.

Ralf,

Vielen dank for that pic, mein herr. I hadn't seen that one before. Ich mochte ein goldtop.

dh

Jeff_L

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
I think you'll enjoy this:

FEND923-8000-478bb.jpg

Man, I look at those "relic-ed" guitars in stores and shake my head. Who would pay money for something like that, and why? You can't buy mojo, it has to be earned!

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
60's Olympic White over 3 Tone Sunburst, it would be interesting to see such an original Stat. It's amazing to me that people pay so much money for the heavy relic custom shop version.
Ralf

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Man, I look at those "relic-ed" guitars in stores and shake my head. Who would pay money for something like that, and why? You can't buy mojo, it has to be earned!

"Can't buy me M-o-o-h--jo!
Can't buy me M-o-o-h--jo!
Can't buy me M-o-o-h--jo!
I'll give you a pick-up ring my friend, if it'll keep you satisfied.
It's still got all the dings my friend,
And it once was anodized,
And all the re-sprayed paint is runny,
but runny ain't what I love."