"Ask Ren" on Guild web site

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think there were some later Westerly M20s that were 1 11/16" nut and standard scale. I'm pretty sure the very late Westerly "reissue" M20 that I got for Scratch was that way. Hans might chime in and clarify this.

Most of them sound small to me, and small guitars really aren't my thing. My old '93 "prototype" F20 (also 1 11/16 and 25.5 IIRC with an arch back) was probably the best of the '20 series Guilds that I've played, at least to my ears.

Thanks Sandy. That takes them off my list. Well, I can hold out hope for an arched D25, you never know. 😄

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
24 3/4" would be the vintage correct scale for the M-20.
Sandy: That referred only to the first models as seen in Hans book page 120. I don't know about the late Westerly reissue size out of my head. Really waiting for Hans second book!
Ralf

Neal

Reaction score
Woody,

Physics would dictate that a bit of a boxy sound is inevitable in a parlor-sized guitar. But they are a lot of fun to play on the couch, or even in the back seat of a car, if you want to drive your wife nuts on a long trip.

I received, played and sent back an NH F-20 not too long ago. It was pretty, and very well made, but I did not find it appreciably better-sounding than my considerably less expensive M-120. Score one for the Chinese in this regard.

Moving up just a tad larger to the F-30 makes a huge difference in tone, to me anyway. Of course, there are those that love a boxy sound for particular musical styles. I am an unabashed bass-lover, so the little guys just aren't generally my cup of tea.

Neal

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am an unabashed bass-lover, so the little guys just aren't generally my cup of tea.

Neal

If you're an unabashed bass lover, you definitely need a mahogany Martin or two in the herd Neal. My 000-17SM (which I consider to be a "small body", though my luthier doesn't) is an absolute bass cannon compared to any of the small body Guilds I've owned or played, Orpheums excepted. Part of that might be the 12 fret design with the extended upper bout, but a lot of it is just good old design I think. My D18DC has the most bass of any guitar I've ever owned, period.

Neal

Reaction score
Sandy, I would have to say the most pronounced bass of any guitar I own (and that includes a 12-fret Orpheum D) is without a doubt my '12 F-50 Std. Big-time rumble, even with light strings.

I like to hit the low E just for the heck of it. Boom! The vibration of that string goes right through that arched maple back and into my belly.

Neal