Guild Jazz

cc_mac

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing real empirical data. Fullers' listing states "Nut Width: 1.627" (41.32 mm)" .

guildman63

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing real empirical data. Fullers' listing states "Nut Width: 1.627" (41.32 mm)" .

Interesting. I would be surprised if it is correct. Fullers has had advertising issues in the past when they listed another AP AA for sale, and the picture placed on eBay showed the pickup in a very crooked alignment. They also put a clip of a GSR X-180 on YouTube, and had a guy spanking blues riffs on it. To me that is a jazz guitar and should have been demo'd accordingly. Needless to say they had it for a long time. They don't demonstrate a good attention to detail in their advertising, but I have dealt with them before and had no issues. At $4300 for an AP AA that is a steal! Especially considering that less than 20 of each AP was produced. Someone snag that!

Last edited:

guildman63

Reaction score
Marty,

Given your collection of Guild JS/AA guitars this AA at Fullers could be right up your alley. The AP AA was an attempt to recreate, with a few subtle modern changes (mainly fretboard radius and nut width as far as I know), the late 1950's JS AA. I have never played the original, but this AP of mine is a great guitar! The initial street price was 7K, so at 4.3K it's a fantastic deal!

Again, for anyone who may be interested but is put off by the stated nut width in the Fuller ad, call Fullers and have them measure it. I am willing to bet it is really 1.7 as mine is, and as is that on another AP AA that is owned by a member on the Jazzguitar. be forum.

mbuc

Reaction score
I suspected the nut width information on the Fullers site to be wrong as they just copied the specs from the old Guild website which showed wrong nut width information for the other two APs. If it wasn't for the additional import tax, I'd have bought that AA weeks ago as soon as they've dropped the price. I also suspected that you have bought their Aristocrat, which is good for you, congrats again, but which also shows that we're just a hand full fo Guild freaks and nobody really cares about the US made Guild electrics. I am not sure if it would have been sold already if you hadn't bought it. I don't think that Guild is doing themselves a favour if they push the Newark St line and forget about the APs. Those are the figureheads for the companies electric guitars and they should cherish them more.

So what are your thoughts on the Aristocrat? How's your shoulder, can you already play it?

guildman63

Reaction score
I have not yet received the Aristocrat, but as soon as I do I will be sure to give my review. I can play for a few minutes, but that's it.

As for the planned focus, Cordoba assured me in an email that the AP line will continue, but the models were not specified. With the move to a new facility it only makes sense that the NS line is the current focus as the Korean plant is in full swing. Also, there is a much bigger market for $1500 guitars than there is for $5000 guitars. Be patient. The AP line will return and will be awesome!

mbuc

Reaction score
Well then my best wishes for your full recovery. I am looking forward to reading your report about the Aristocrat.

Outside of this forum, the NS line doesn't seem to get much love, especially not in the Jazz scene. That's why I find it worrisome if the Newark Street Guilds shape the public image of modern Guild electrics.

guildman63

Reaction score
Markus,

I see your point, but would argue that it's too soon to tell. Over on the jazzguitar forum there appears to be a clear preference for Gibson and Heritage amongst the USA made guitars, but being an international forum many of the preferred makes of guitar are European or Asian made. That said, the Artist Award gets a lot of love, but has been around in one form or another since the 1950's. To expect the NS line to instantly create a strong buzz in the jazz community when Guild has not offered a pure jazz guitar since the Benedetto AA and X-500 of the Corona era is unrealistic, especially since those guitars played a relatively small role in professional jazz despite their very high quality. The frustration I have with many on the jazzguitar forum is that they seem more interested in public opinion regarding what guitars they play and less on actual quality and tone. Of course tone is very subjective, but the reality is that no guitar will ever make it big in the jazz scene until the big names are seen playing them routinely on gigs. How did Gibson make it so big? They, as a company, got their guitars in the hands of those that mattered, and the all of the masses followed suit. Another problem is that many feel vintage is by definition better, and that is a hard nut to crack. A third problem is that the jazz market is relatively small to begin with, so while Guild is making some NS models that can be used for jazz, the A-150 is in my opinion the only pure jazz guitar, and I'm not sure what the plan is for that. Again, I understand your points, but I just feel it is way too early to be so concerned when the Cordoba factory isn't even in production yet. I do think that the original NS line was not executed as well as it could have been regarding pickups, but I can say that all models I played were very well constructed. My NS Aristocrat is a very good guitar, and just how good will be known very soon once my AP Aristocrat arrives and is compared. I, for one, think Cordoba/Guild is moving in a great direction, and to achieve anything big will likely take time.

Okay, this is what happens when I can't work or play, and have too much free time on my hands.

jcwu

Reaction score
we're just a hand full fo Guild freaks and nobody really cares about the US made Guild electrics

I sometimes wonder this, too... and then we read accounts of the Guild evangelists (like davismanLV) who are out there preaching the goodness of Guild, and I have faith that there will be more people who will care about the Guild brand and the US made instruments. Yes, it's bad news for us if the Guild brand becomes popular, because prices will go up, but long term it's great news, because the company and brand will not only survive, but thrive.

One can only hope!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
To expect the NS line to instantly create a strong buzz in the jazz community when Guild has not offered a pure jazz guitar since the Benedetto AA and X-500 of the Corona era is unrealistic, especially since those guitars played a relatively small role in professional jazz despite their very high quality... A third problem is that the jazz market is relatively small to begin with, so while Guild is making some NS models that can be used for jazz, the A-150 is in my opinion the only pure jazz guitar, and I'm not sure what the plan is for that.
New member Paul B's review of his NS Starfire III is encouraging (my emphases):
Hi Steve, thanks for the welcome.

How does the SFIII compare with what? It's totally unlike any of my other electrics, a very light and clean sound, and plays beautifully. I'm still experimenting with the various settrings on my amps, but it doesn't like a lot of distortion, unsurprisingly. It's probably the one I play most at the moment, because it's light, has a superb neck and fingerboard, and I don't always need to plug it in if I just want a quick play. It's one gutar I think I will never get rid of, it's just amazing. A friend of mine has a Gibson ES335 double cutaway, and both he and I prefer the Starfire, it really is that good.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Which is odd, because the guy from Garbage plays a SFIII (though not NS) and he's got plenty distortion on it, and it plays well.
For sure it's a III and not a IV? (I like what I've heard on the radio but never looked deeply into what he actually has)
Or maybe he's got a sound post in it?

guildman63

Reaction score
I am more familiar with the SF-III in the context of the early Kinks and Grateful Dead, but its nice to hear it does cleans so well.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Quote Originally Posted by Paul-B View Post
Hi Steve, thanks for the welcome.

How does the SFIII compare with what? It's totally unlike any of my other electrics, a very light and clean sound, and plays beautifully. I'm still experimenting with the various settrings on my amps, but it doesn't like a lot of distortion, unsurprisingly. It's probably the one I play most at the moment, because it's light, has a superb neck and fingerboard, and I don't always need to plug it in if I just want a quick play. It's one gutar I think I will never get rid of, it's just amazing. A friend of mine has a Gibson ES335 double cutaway, and both he and I prefer the Starfire, it really is that good.

I'm still trying to keep all the models and pickups straight in my head, but... wouldn't this be one with the "modeled after a defective pickup" pairs of mini hums ?

Synchro

Reaction score
Defining a worthy Jazz guitar is a thankless task, IMO. What works for one person does not necessarily work for another. I used to play a Gibson Johnny Smith, but found it wanting. I guess I prefer the sound of a cut-in pickup and, quite possibly a laminate top. The ES 175 fits that description and was used in countless Jazz guitar recordings. Personally, however, I prefer a different sound than the Gibson humbucker. The mini-hums in my CE-100 Capri sound great to me for jazz work. I'd take it over an ES-175 any day of the week.

I also have an A-150 Savoy, which has a great Jazz sound, but is certainly less versatile than the Capri. For my purposes, an acoustic archtop with a floating pickup is just too feedback-prone. They have a great sound, but you can expend a lot of energy on controlling feedback with such a guitar.

guildman63

Reaction score
I had a 1956 CE-100 with a single Franz pup that was phenomenal, and was better than any ES-175 I've ever played. Maybe I will get it back one day. It is amazing how many preferences there are for jazz guitars, from carved archtops with floating pups to solid bodies with humbuckers.

Reaction score
Guild X 180 Park ave

Hi
Greetings from the UK!
I am after a Guild jazz guitar, a good one...
What models are still made in the USA?

regards to all

I have a guild x180 Park ave Mint condition Haven't played in years and it was my main axe.