A sad update on Glen Campbell

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It's just sad.
Saw this over the weekend and "sad" sort of sums it up for me, too.

I saw my Mom go through this toward the end of her life. The most poignant moment for me came when she looked at me (sitting right next to her) and then turned to my sister and asked, "who is that man?" You try to laugh it off at the time but the pain lives in retrospect.
My Mom was full of vitality until her engine just started to run down. And it was "sad" to see.

Wishing the best for Glen and his family,
Joe

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Sad, but yet courageous how he kept performing until he no longer could. And his desire to document his gradual decline to help others deal with Alzheimer's is awe-inspiring. That documentary is going to be both painful and inspirational to watch.

His "GoodTime Hour" TV show is what got me interested in playing the guitar as a kid...

walrus

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I saw this last week as well. I watched it and shed a tear. It's both good that he's sharing his struggle and slow decline and sad that any human has to go through this. I agree, Bob. A remarkable man.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Amazing that while he loses the ability to speak he's still playing his guitar.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Amazing that while he loses the ability to speak he's still playing his guitar.

I'm not totally surprised. There are a lot of anecdotes out there about people with dementia who can't function any more except when given a chance to sing. Then they join in, know the words and can carry a tune about as well as they ever could. I'm not sure the question has been answered but there is evidence that "music" exercises "different" parts of the brain. So called "muscle memory" seems to survive the loss of other brain functions as well.

I'm glad the Campbells are sharing the story but it is painful to watch. Bless 'em all.

strummer

Reaction score
Hearbreaking.I lost a favorite uncle earlier this year to Alzheimer's and it took 5 yars or more to run it's course.The irony is that he was one of the sharpest,most aware guys ever before being stricken.Can't imagine what Glen's family is going thru.Their openness and grace is impressive.I remember watching his show regularly back when .He always booked cool musicians regardless of where they fell on the Freak-Straight line,which wasn't the case w/network t.v. back in the late 60s.Johnny Cash did this also.The sad fact is that the folks who formed the 20th Century,and by extension many of our lives,are steadily going forward into the "void".That's life,I guess. Fortunately Glen's music will live on.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Yes, kbob2, that's the title. I got to meet Glen when his bio came out about twenty years ago. Great guy. He was the first 12 string player and 6-string banjo player I ever heard--about half a century ago at the hungry i.