73 S-90 d pickups anygood?

Reaction score
Hi all, new here.

I'm looking at picking up a 73 s-90 d. I cant find any info on the dimarzio pickups in this one. i found the s300d had super distion on the bridge and paf on the neck... would this be the same? and any info on these would be great. I'm sure the HB-1's are more desireable but...its still a really cool old Guild.

Cheers

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I checked the Book, the S-300 and S-60 started using Dimarzios in 1977, no mention of them in the S-90.
so, unless it was a special order, the pups have most likely been replaced. So, it'll be tough to give any opinions on that combo.
i will say I love the form and feel of my S-90, but, pup-wise, it'll certainly be a different critter.

Reaction score
Ok no wonder there is nothing on it. Is there a serial #reference guide on here? By the way it has the hangstrom trem on it too.

Cheers you guys are quick!

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
should have HB1's
Correct. Originally the S-90 should have had Guild HB-1 humbuckers.

@Pauledc: Welcome to LTG! If the guitar you look at has DiMarzios it means most probably they were replaced at some point in time by a previous owner. So no idea which DiMarzios it would have.

Ralf

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
there is simply a chance the guitar is not from 1973. my guess is maybe 78 (a 3 is half of an 8...)

Reaction score
I will have to check the serial number for sure. If it is indeed a 73 would the value drop without the hb1 ? they are asking $700 with the original case. It has black humbuckers on it....could the covers have just been removed? Probably not but...

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
there is simply a chance the guitar is not from 1973. my guess is maybe 78 (a 3 is half of an 8...)
Even in 78, Hans didn't mention that that was a standard option for the S-90. The Dimarzios were available as aftermarket from 72, so could have be a special order, or added at any time.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...there is simply a chance the guitar is not from 1973. my guess is maybe 78...
Not possible as a S-90 didn't even exist anymore in 1978. It was discontinued in 1977 as it looks. The May 1977 pricelist didn't show it anymore.
Ralf

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Not possible as a S-90 didn't even exist anymore in 1978. It was discontinued in 1977 as it looks. The May 1977 pricelist didn't show it anymore.
Ralf

"not possible" is not really the vocabulary I would use when talking about Guild. And I would think by now you would accept the fact that those price lists and catalogs are far from a complete list. I have at least one Guild myself, possibly more, that were never on a price list or catalogued. Not sure about this S-90, but I think it fair to say its "entirely possible" it's from 77 or 78. Although I do concede 78 would be very late for an S-90, it is definetly "possible."

Reaction score
Thanks all. I will check the serial number and get back. I've tried to reply a couple times but it's not showing up.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The OP said the guitar is a S-90D. Since there is a "D" in the model number it would seem that it should have DeMarzio's in it. Now the question is where did the model number come from?

Reaction score
The OP said the guitar is a S-90D. Since there is a "D" in the model number it would seem that it should have DeMarzio's in it. Now the question is where did the model number come from?

The store actually has it listed as a 73 guild sd-90. It definitely a s90 with black humbuckers. I'll let you guys know next week when I go see it in person.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, Kurt, there's no label on the S-90, least not on mine. I don't know when they started putting the model name on the TRC, it's just a shield on my '71.
too many unanswered questions without pics. WE WANT PICS!

Reaction score
Her she is. Not a great pic. My guess is the pickups were switched out.

ve2at9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
It's an S-90, but it's had a great deal of its original parts removed and/or replaced.

Pickups are definitely not original. Nor is the tremolo setup.

I wouldnt take my chances.