New Pink Floyd Album - Last - Says Gilmour

jcwu

Reaction score
thanks, i saw 10-11 somewhere, so someone had it mixed up...or that was just for the single I heard today (one day early) which btw was called "louder than words," and did indeed have vocals, so between that and the release dates there has been some conflicting information...I also just saw a release date of 11-7...

In some countries, 10-11 *is* the 10th of November. :)

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Why my absolute all time favorite Floyd tunes are actually "Astronomy Domine" and "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" on Ummagumma. I know Gilmour's credited but there are definitely some Syd riffs in there. I suspect he was there (for Astronomy Domine at least), but not 100% competent or credited.
If not, Gilmour is doing a magnificent job of replicating some of those quirky riffs. I would assume for both artistic and audience expectation reasons.

Astronomy Domine is one of Syds tunes from the early days. I'm not sure what the story is with Ummagumma, could be a number of different scenarios, musically and otherwise. I don't believe Syd was credited with anything after the first 2 records, but I could be wrong. Syd was bought out at the time, I don't know the specifics but they certainly did not "steal" or even "borrow" his music. He may have not been credited since he was no longer in the band, but at the time the appropriate agreements were made, financially. Or whatever seemed appropriate at the time. It was an awkward and unique parting of ways, but it was peaceful and they did not try to screw the guy out of anything. By Pink Floyd standards in 1967, they took care of him...and felt very sympathetic for his turn of fate. I do believe Gilmour could play Syds riffs quite easily! And again, that is exactly what he did on Syds records, both back then and in recent releases and remasters. I highly recommend "an introduction to Syd Barrett". Is the Gilmour/Barrett baby for sure, but has plenty of stuff that is unquestionably only Syd.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
In some countries, 10-11 *is* the 10th of November. :)
Absolutely! In most countries of the world 10.11.14 means the 10th of November 2014.
See the add in London:

_78119292_78119291.jpg

Ralf

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yup, that is the source of the confusion right there! Thanks Ralf

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
How's this? The album comes out on November 10, 2014.

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Astronomy Domine is one of Syds tunes from the early days.
Right.
I'm not sure what the story is with Ummagumma, could be a number of different scenarios, musically and otherwise. I don't believe Syd was credited with anything after the first 2 records.
I might be answering a question you might not be asking, if so, thanks for understanding:
The version of "Domine" on Ummagumma was recorded live in April '69, a period when Gilmour and Barrett were particularly close in that Gilmour lived almost next door to Syd and was helping him with his first solo project: "The Jones-produced sessions started in April 1969 at EMI Studios. After the first of these sessions, Barrett brought in friends to help out: Humble Pie drummer, Jerry Shirley and Jokers Wild (Gilmour's old band) drummer, Willie Wilson. For the sessions, Gilmour played bass.". Also Syd had a history of simply wandering around stage only playing when he felt like it, as far back as late '67 early '68:
"Sometime around Christmas, David Gilmour (Barrett's old school friend) was asked to join the band as a second guitarist to cover for Barrett, whose erratic behaviour prevented him from performing, with the idea of retaining a five-member line-up of the band. For a handful of shows Gilmour played and sang while Barrett wandered around on stage, occasionally deciding to join in playing.". So even though he'd "officially" been out of the band for about a year I still kinda wonder if he "happened to be there" and was "allowed (or even invited) to sit in" on what was after all his own composition (he is credited on Ummagumma). At the time, crediting un-contracted artist performances on records was extremely problematic, it's why Clapton doesn't get a credit for "While My Guitar..." and George doesn't get a credit (in his own name) on "Badge". And that's assuming Syd's presence (if true) was even noted on the recording notes....
Didn't mean to imply that the band were "ripping him off", and didn't even realize Gilmour and Barrett were that close 'til you mentioned it and I did a bit of research. Seeing the timeline only further strengthened my 45-year old suspicions.
Quotes are from Wiki's Barrett page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syd_Barrett