CBC: One Minute Guitar Lessons from Canadian Guitar Gurus

houseisland

Reaction score

houseisland

Reaction score
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

Selfish rat bastards! I am most disappointed in the CBC, if it was the CBC who uploaded the clips. We should share with our best friends south of the border. We are after all in the North American sandbox together and should play nice. I am very sorry.

If you are interested .... heh heh heh ... there are ways around this. PM me.

Last edited:

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
These lessons, and the contest, were part of the Luminato festival, held in Toronto each summer. That year (I can't recall the date) the festival's theme was guitar music. The contest was open to Canadian residents only, so that's why the videos are blocked outside the country (I didn't win either). To the best of my recollection, 3 of the lessons were from Randy Bachman, Colin Linden & Bruce Cockburn.

The festival that year also featured an attempt to set a new Guinness record for the greatest number of guitarists playing the same song in the same location. The song was Neil Young's "Helpless" and the venue was Yonge/Dundas Square in Toronto. I participated (there were a surprising number of Guilds), but we failed to break the record.

houseisland

Reaction score
To the best of my recollection, 3 of the lessons were from Randy Bachman, Colin Linden & Bruce Cockburn.

I can't find the Bachman one. The ones I did find were Linden (slide: tuning and technique), Cockburn (use of thumb for rhythmic propulsion in finger picking), Madagascar Slim (double drop D tuning and Malagasi style finger picking), and Jesse Cook (Rumba Flamenco strumming - how to emulate a drum kit with guitar while continuing to do harmonic things).

The festival that year also featured an attempt to set a new Guinness record for the greatest number of guitarists playing the same song in the same location. The song was Neil Young's "Helpless" and the venue was Yonge/Dundas Square in Toronto. I participated (there were a surprising number of Guilds), but we failed to break the record.

We tried in Vancouver one year for the record with Randy Bachman leading the crowd in Takin" Care of Business. We might have won - don't remember - but such glories are ephemeral. I could't go, but a number of my students at the time went. They had a great time.

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
I can't find the Bachman one. The ones I did find were Linden (slide: tuning and technique), Cockburn (use of thumb for rhythmic propulsion in finger picking), Madagascar Slim (double drop D tuning and Malagasi style finger picking), and Jesse Cook (Rumba Flamenco strumming - how to emulate a drum kit with guitar while continuing to do harmonic things).

My mistake. RB was a featured performer at Luminato, but he didn't provide a lesson.