NGD - Tacoma D55 burst

11earl

Reaction score
Hive,

My long search for the right D55 burst at the right price is - hopefully - over.

Received my new to me Tacoma-built D55. Serial number seems to put the build date in 2007.

I believe the guitar to be in near-new condition; there are some swirls on the front that can be seen in just the right light that a guitar displayed in a showroom might have.

Interestingly - to me - the burst does not appear to be the iced tea burst like that of my previously-owned 2006 D55 -- I didn't realize that Tacoma offered more than one style of burst.

The more traditional burst of my current D55 is also quite beautiful. The sound of the guitar is the rich, balanced tone that we know is the calling card of these guitars. Here are a few more quick & dirty pics.

jcwu

Reaction score
I like the reflection of both you and the dog on the back of the guitar. :)

And beautiful Guild!!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
There's really nothing more beautiful than a burst D55!! That's a lovely one, for sure!! Congrats!! :encouragement: So does the word "hopefully" mean it's not a done deal yet??

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Received my new to me Tacoma-built D55. Serial number seems to put the build date in 2007.Interestingly - to me - the burst does not appear to be the iced tea burst like that of my previously-owned 2006 D55 -- I didn't realize that Tacoma offered more than one style of burst.
Congratulations! Wonderful look.
It sounds almost you don't trust the date ("seems to put")? If the serial number starts with "TK" it is definitely a 2007 one and the next 3 numbers are the Julian day when it was made.
Tacoma offered the D55 in Natural NT (821), Antique Burst ATB (837) and Ice Tea Burst ITB (850).
Ralf

Last edited:

11earl

Reaction score
Thanks!

Tom - I only say "hopefully" as I have an approval period and am crossing my fingers that the keen eyes of the Hive don't see something amiss in the guitar.

Ralf -- I'm evidently in a wishy-washy mood today. Yes, the serial number begins with a TK. I may even prefer this ATB to the ITB - nice that Guild offered a choice between the two.

11earl

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input and compliments. Can't wait for Saturday to detail it and put on some new strings.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Earl... the beauty is undeniable. The thing is, it's your EARS that will tell you what you want to know. Clean, polish, and restring.... and PLAY THAT PUPPY!! and when you're done. You will know. Right? :encouragement:

DrRichie

Reaction score
Beautiful. I have the same Sunburst D-55 from 2005. She's not just the best guitar I've ever played, but the best I've ever heard. Congratulations.

11earl

Reaction score
Thanks folks.

Detailed it up last night and put on a set of Curt Mangan coated 12-54 phosphor bronze strings - first time I've used them. *Very* bright and metallic when first installed, but by this a.m. they settled down a great deal.