Tacoma vs New Hartford D55

11earl

Reaction score
Other than being more recently built, should a New Hartford D55 be priced higher than a Tacoma D55? Is the New Hartford model a "better" guitar? If so, why?

I must admit I still like the burst color scheme of the Tacoma model

Geotrio

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Other than being more recently built, should a New Hartford D55 be priced higher than a Tacoma D55? Is the New Hartford model a "better" guitar? If so, why?

Earl I'm not sure which individual one is better in your case but someday all the new NH models will be sold off. There is no doubt that NH guitars will be a benchmark someday.

It may be looked back on as a golden age. I'd pay more for a NH guitar because the people that built them were highly experienced. Cordoba has a tough act to follow in my book but it appears they are off to a solid beginning.

Neal

Reaction score
I agree with Geotrio that the New Hartford Guilds are special, and will only get more desirable as they age, and as they get passed around and appreciated by other non-Guild-owning players. Every time I take one to a jam, just one strum, and heads turn. And I can assure you it is not my playing that attracts the attention.

Personally, I am partial to the NH models made with Adirondack spruce tops (D-40 and D-50 Traditional, as dreadnought examples). I don't know where Guild found such a reliable source for the raw wood, but some of the adi-topped NH Guilds are just stunning. And loud.

Having said that, the Tacoma Guilds are excellent bargains. Dollar for dollar, you would be hard-pressed to beat them. Every Tacoma Guild I have played has been superbly made and loud/resonant as all heck.

Neal

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Putting aside other issues, I think the D-TAR multi source electronics used in the most recent NH D55s are more highly regarded than the previously used (including at Tacoma) D-TAR lock & load electronics.

Only matters if you're looking at factory-installed pickups, of course.

6L6

Reaction score
I've owned Guilds from every build location except NH. I have had a chance to play a couple of NH D-55's, however, and I really liked them a bunch.

In 2006 I bought a new Tacoma-built D-55NT. Here's a recent pic:

IMG_0223.jpg

I originally had a Fishman Matrix installed but switched to a K&K Pure Mini after they became available. It sounds fantastic both plugged and unplugged and has been my #1 gigging guitar since the day I bought it.

For me, my favs were built in Tacoma. That said, I've never met a Guild I didn't love!

Here's a pic of yours truly playing my D-55 in London a couple weeks ago:

IMG_5089_zps68ecd341.jpg

Bill

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
why is it that everytime I see a D55, from whatever build location, I want one, and even though Orpheums are special, the D55 is still the flagship model for Guild. And yet I still do not own one, and really prefer Hog anyway. #confusedbutatleastiownaguild.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

Does either come with a dealer or factory warranty? Both come with similar quality cases? Those two factors could account for $500. If they are both used with no warranty and comparable cases then the difference may be because one is being priced as a percentage of the MSRP when new rather than priced based on current market conditions.

11earl

Reaction score
Thanks all for your opinions and input.

Frono, both guitars are used and come with OHSC.

sunpowder

Reaction score
11earl,

I don't think anyone will tell you that one is better than the other.
Different? Possibly.
But you would have to play both guitars and judge for yourself which you liked better.

I would say--IMHO, YMMV, and such--that I do hear a subtle difference in the Tacoma D55s I have owned (2005 Nat, 2008 ITB, 2008 ATB) and the NH D55s I have auditioned in stores in and around Chicago. The NH D55s and F50Rs I have played have been lighter, and to me, have a tad more of the "bark" I associate with Martin guitars, and a tad less "balanced, rich smoothness" that I love about the Tacomas I owned and currently own. They are still fantastic guitars and I would pick one over a Martin or Gibson, or just about anything. I am really splitting hairs here. :) The NH guilds sound great, but there is something that really floats my boat about the Tacoma models. And the 2005 was the standout of the ones I owned in tone, but was the weakest in fit and finish and had plastic saddle and nut. So you just never know what individual guitar is going to grab you.

I know Frosty and I agree about this (or did in the past) as I sold him my D55 ITB and later bought it back from the gentleman he sold it to. (you can see it in a video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRaRL9sWGcc )

Frosty posted about the new (at the time) NH D55 and we spoke at length off line about what we saw as slight differences in the tone like two nerds (sorry Frosty :).
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?153811-First-impression-of-CT-D-55

But all this is conjecture and personal opinion, and again, subtle differences that could as easily be associated with the individual guitars as the manufacturing facilities and changes to spec.

Guess I am saying if you can't play them first, pick the cheaper one. If they are the same price, pick the one you like the looks of the best. You will end up with a great guitar. :)

11earl

Reaction score
Well, I believe I just made an excellent deal on a Tacoma d55 burst, as I loved the "balanced, rich smoothness". of my previous Tacoma-built D55 that I should not have sold.

We'll see how it looks and sounds upon arrival -- hope to receive it mid-next week.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Awesome, looking forward to the pics and report.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Michael, I used to watch that D55 video years ago. Brilliant playing, loved the tone of that D55 and the dog is hilarious. Never knew the player was a member here. Wow, far out. That video sold me on Guild dreads. I always thought that the video was recorded in some old cool Victorian hone in Maine. Anyway, fabulous and what a small world. Frosty, if you are reading this, thank you.

sunpowder

Reaction score
Frosty (aka Michael Neverisky) used to hang out here quite a bit, and I am sure he still checks in once in a while. He can also be seen hanging at the UMGF sometimes.
He is a fantastic player and quite a nice guy. Check out some of his other vids on youtube.

I don't own that Ice tea burst D55 anymore. It was a good'un. My 2008 F50R ITB has all of its tone and a little better balance across the strings. It will be with me forever.

DrRichie

Reaction score
I've never played a NH D-55, but I can't imagine anything topping my Tacoma D-55 (2005). "Balanced, rich smoothness," is spot on.