Deal on Ultra Rare Guild AAA Series 12 String?

houseisland

Reaction score
Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Something about the way you linked your images made them not appear. I managed to get one to display but if it matters we may need to tweak some things to see them all.

I apologize for the size of the picture but I'm not in a position to do anything about it.

I don't know what that is a picture of but I can almost guarantee it is not a Guild, even with someone's attempt to make an inlay suggesting otherwise.

MP2OIkS.jpg

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I note you placed this in The Funny Papers so perhaps default and I are guilty of taking you seriously when there was no such desire or intention on your part.

houseisland

Reaction score
I note you placed this in The Funny Papers so perhaps default and I are guilty of taking you seriously when there was no such desire or intention on your part.

The problem with irony in text is that there is no tone of of the speaker's/writer's voice to alert the reader and the irony can then fly right under the radar screen. But I did think the ugly great chunk of painters' tape holding "the inlay" on would be a clue. Sorry.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was looking at your post on my phone, so I saw neither images or the destination forum. <blush>

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have one, but with the standard blue tape holding on the logo. This one could be rare!

houseisland

Reaction score
"Andean American Artist" was the give away!

walrus

I can assure you that it is not a give-away! The seller is asking big bucks, claiming that this was the AAA 12 string (actually 16 string if you count the currently unused friction pegs and nut slots) used by Paul Simon to record El Condor Pasa. It apparently is from a little known, small Guild factory setup in Cusco, Peru in the 1970s as part of a foreign aid project. The output was very small before its doors closed, most instruments being custom one-offs and very few production runs of more than 2 or 3 instruments, which would explain why S-100's AAA 12 String has the standard blue tape rather than the custom Paul Simon signature model green tape. The armadillo farm was out behind the factory, and the armadillos were fed an exclusive diet of chopped up, unsold Japanese Madeiras, which is why the AAA series has superior tonal qualities to Gibson's competing models, for which the armadillos were apparently fed chopped up Maestro/Baldwin gear. ;^P

Last edited:

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
Do you get paid union scale if you gig with this thing?

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
I would want to know how a (seemingly) Armadillo body compares with, say Tortoise?

...it would seem that Wes should chime in here...:very_drunk: (emoticon = me, not Wes)

houseisland

Reaction score
Don'tcha just hate that? I mean, gettin' the chicks I can live with, but half the gig money?
Only worth it if can curl up into a little ball like a travel guitar.

I don't know. The seller claims to have documentation that the Armadillo has gigged with Willie Nelson, too, Paul Simon having apparently given the AAA 12 string to Willie backstage after a show sometime in the 90s. http://www.jnmjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/abc-news.jpg

The price has gone up.