Protecting my Nitrocellulose Finish - Carnauba Wax?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nirto Pens eh? That sounds like the easiest solution. Is it as easy as application and buffing?
Allow me to make a comment here. It is hard to discuss such things without seeing pictures what "damage" you try to fix. Look for instance here: http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Technique/Finish/Lacquer/DropFill/dropfill.html
That might be an application (on a smaller size) where such a "pen" might be useful. But it still takes time and layer by layer to fix such a chip! No, it's not easy! Nitrocellulose lacquer takes lots of time to dry. Frank Ford talks about at least 3 weeks in that article.
Now it sounds like it is not just one little spot you try to fix but all of the neck. A lacquer pen will not be useful for that task...The only way is a spray gun and some good weeks of time to do that! And you can't rebuild a sunburst finish with clear lacquer, if you want to do that you need a professional luthier who can spray colored nitro. (it's not even allowed in every state to use nitro).
Ralf

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If there's a chip it's most likely in the clear coat, but a pic would help indeed.

IF it's a little chip in the clear coat, and the guitar is some years old (and doesn't even remotely smell of lacquer or solvent any more), an experienced repair guy can fill that with superglue. No need to refinish a whole neck for one or two chips.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
IF it's a little chip in the clear coat, and the guitar is some years old ...
I guess we talk about wisconsindeads 1967 sunburst Starfire II bass...So I'd assume all over the neck the finish just flakes off bit by bit due to the completely dried out lacquer after 47 years. (which is the nature of lacquer...and as said, no polish or wax will stop it, just fresh nitro on top will stop it).
Ralf

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yep. Again, pics would help. And it does sound like a partial refin would be the way to go then. I'd missed the 1967 part somehow, sorry.

wisconsindead

Reaction score
I haven't worked on how to post pictures here. Gotta have a URL?

Heres a link to my thread at TalkBass.

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/nitrocellulose-and-sweat-what-can-i-do.1101748/#post-16369137

Its mostly small chips and thats the worst spot. I think its down to the wood, looks like it. I'll look into costs on a clear coat of nitro. However theres other work that needs to be done (headstock) before I get something like that done. AND I'd have to be without my starfire for a while... :numbness:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey, Ralf,

I know you weighed in against the NCL "pen" applicators, but have you used them? I haven't, and I was just curious if your comment earlier was from first-hand experience. Looking at wisconsin's picture in talkbass, it looks (to me) like a few areas that could be touched up.

You have way more experience than I do with this though. Just curious.

edwin

Reaction score
As the former owner of this bass and a current owner of another 1967 Starfire bass, I can attest that the finish, apart from a few scratches and flaws, is in fantastic shape for its age. If a pro went over it, the whole bass could be restored to a very glorious condition indeed. My guess is that the nicks on the back of the neck are small enough that the pens might work pretty well. I can't convey with words how grateful I am that this bass is getting played so much. It sat with me for a long, long time and I would see its case and just feel terrible that it wasn't making any music.

All that said, I guess you guys would be appalled at the state of my Starfire. It's been rode hard and put away wet, sometimes literally, more times than I can count, including this microburst that subjected us to 70mph winds and hail from every direction for 90 minutes right as we were about to start playing. I got the bass in the case (a top of the line Calton) after about 5 minutes of hail and got it back into the trailer after the storm ended enough for us to pack our gear. Then, that night we drove all night from Maryland to central Illinois and before we hit the festival, we went to the hotel and opened up the trailer and got all the gear out. Each of my racks had between a cup and a quart of water in them. The bass case maintained its waterproof seal, but due to the moisture that was trapped in there, the bass turned almost white. As it dried out, the color went back to the classic cherry. The only casualty was a Boogie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIu5iZJxbTI

The finish of the back of the neck is pretty much gone for about half of it, the rest of the finish is completely checked and worn from various things, not to mention drill holes for three different bridges, holes from various pickup mounting systems, etc. Eventually I'll probably just strip the whole thing and go for an oil finish, if it seems like it's an issue. But it sounds great, so I'm too busy playing it.

One place I'd like to protect is the back of the headstock, where I've got some extra mojo on there.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152932094039134&l=3f439612a2

photo.php

wisconsindead

Reaction score
Hope you're well Edwin.

The back of the neck is continuing to get worse, slowly but surely. I'm not sure if I mentioned but I ended up using Virtuoso Polish on the guitar. It works nice but I'm not sure how well it actually protects from further degradation. In all honesty I'd love to strip the back and go from something more slick/satin feeling as nitro seems to be a lot stickier than I like. Especially on those humid days. The polish definitely helps keep it smooth but I'm not one to keep up on it after almost every time I play it. However the finish is so pretty I couldn't bring myself to alter it in anyway. Then theres the issue of the headstock and what to do with that and if I repaired that how to keep the sunburst gradient on the neck. I think ideally I'd take it get a clear coat on the entire back of the neck but again this doesn't get that finish to the type of playability I'd prefer.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
what would you do about these fiinish checking areas? overspray? nothing? all opinions welcome.

it's basically everywhere.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
how about here?

or here? (doesn't seem to be a problem but curious is there preventative maintenance...)

some chipping here and other light scratches along this neck

how about this one? (which is actually not as bad as the picture makes it look, but it should likely be addresed, is my thinking)

wisconsindead

Reaction score
I'd be interested in hearing replies to this as well. Mine has the same conditions. I know that nitro like "melts" into itself and me thinks that maybe this could be repaired with some fresh coats. Maybe not though?

Have you tried asking this elsewhere mavuser? I bet talkbass would have some answers.

Nice looking SB SF, almost as pretty as mine :fat:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice looking SB SF, almost as pretty as mine :fat:

Actually they are not all pictures of the same instrument. Those bursts are incredible though; The reason I am inquiring as to how to best preserve them. I havnt asked on other forums. I already spend too much time online, and I like this forum the best. Was hoping maybe Fixit or Ron Thorn would possibly chime in here. I suppose they maybe don't check the bass threads. Anyway the basses should be fine for now. Jut trying to plan for the future.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total