Madeira by Guild C600 acquired today

Guild Dawg

Reaction score
Guild Total
Made a quick "snatch & grab" today on a Madeira by Guild C600 classical for $90 from Craigslist.

No case. Highly visible scratch on the top, but not through to the wood. No cracks, bridge lifting or other obvious trouble signs. The plastic roller on on of the tuners is cracked and broken, but otherwise the shiny golden Lyre-topped tuners seem to be in good shape. "Made in Japan" sticker behind the headstock.

Oval-shaped paper sticker just behind sound hole that reads "Madeira -- Model C600 -- adjusted and distributed exclusively by Guild." Faux inlay Navajo blanket-patterned decals around soundhole and up the middle of the headstock in nice shape. The headstock itself is the typical classical design and is kind of scalloped at the top.

No model number in evidence anywhere, either inside or outside the guitar. The paint scheme is natural on the top and a dark rosewood color on sides and back. A double line bisects the back and a single line outlines the back. Also edge lines on the sides both top and bottom.

I will post photos shortly, but in the meantime I could use some information. From what little research I have done today, I understand Madeiras were made for Guild in Japan only up until 1974. Can anyone narrow down the model year further based on this info?

I'd also appreciate it if anyone has knowledge on construction materials, etc.

Finally, any advice on how to string this guitar? Does it have to nylon/gut strings or can it take some light acoustic metal strings like Ernie Ball Earthwoods?

Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise/opinions ...

DSCN3331 by Guild Dawg, on Flickr

DSCN3332 by Guild Dawg, on Flickr

DSCN3334 by Guild Dawg, on Flickr

DSCN3333 by Guild Dawg, on Flickr

DSCN3336 by Guild Dawg, on Flickr

DSCN3342 by Guild Dawg, on Flickr

DSCN3339 by Guild Dawg, on Flickr

DSCN3337 by Guild Dawg, on Flickr

Last edited:

Guild Dawg

Reaction score
Guild Total
I could use some information. From what little research I have done, I understand Madeiras were made for Guild in Japan only up until 1974. Can anyone narrow down the model year further based on this info?

Finally, any advice on how to string this guitar? Does it have to nylon/gut strings or can it take some light acoustic metal strings like Ernie Ball Earthwoods?

BUMP -- any help/advice/expertise would be much appreciated, especially on the question of strings ...

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
I know precious little about classical-style guitars...but I am pretty sure that the way to turn her into kindling would be to install steel strings, regardless of gauge :frown:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This Japanese made Madeira C-600 is one of the older Madeiras, later on they were made in Korea. It's most probably from the 70's, I don't think it is possible to get an exact model year for Madeiras. The Japanese made Madeiras sometimes seem to be more desirable. I have a Madeira flyer that shows a C-600 with specs but it doesn't show a year on the flyer.

As it is a classical guitar steel strings could destroy it, so I would stick to nylon.

How to string them:
https://www.taylorguitars.com/sites/default/files/Nylon_Restring.pdf

or:
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/Classical/ClassicStr/classicstr1.html
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/Classical/ClassicStr/classicstr2.html
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/Classical/ClassicStr/classicstr3.html
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/Classical/ClassicStr/classicstr4.html

or:
http://www.daddario.com/dadmedialib...itar&sid=b8a2431b-e9d5-441e-962b-b42569b94e89

Ralf

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have the same problem with a broken string roller. Can I get replacement rollers? What's the best way to fix this problem?

Reaction score
Madeira C-600

Made a quick "snatch & grab" today on a Madeira by Guild C600 classical for $90 from Craigslist.

No case. Highly visible scratch on the top, but not through to the wood. No cracks, bridge lifting or other obvious trouble signs. The plastic roller on on of the tuners is cracked and broken, but otherwise the shiny golden Lyre-topped tuners seem to be in good shape. "Made in Japan" sticker behind the headstock.

Oval-shaped paper sticker just behind sound hole that reads "Madeira -- Model C600 -- adjusted and distributed exclusively by Guild." Faux inlay Navajo blanket-patterned decals around soundhole and up the middle of the headstock in nice shape. The headstock itself is the typical classical design and is kind of scalloped at the top.

No model number in evidence anywhere, either inside or outside the guitar. The paint scheme is natural on the top and a dark rosewood color on sides and back. A double line bisects the back and a single line outlines the back. Also edge lines on the sides both top and bottom.

I will post photos shortly, but in the meantime I could use some information. From what little research I have done today, I understand Madeiras were made for Guild in Japan only up until 1974. Can anyone narrow down the model year further based on this info?

DSCN3331 by Guild Dawg, on Flickr

DSCN3332 by Guild Dawg, on Flickr

DSCN3334 by Guild Dawg, on Flickr

DSCN3333 by Guild Dawg, on Flickr

DSCN3336 by Guild Dawg, on Flickr

DSCN3342 by Guild Dawg, on Flickr

DSCN3339 by Guild Dawg, on Flickr

DSCN3337 by Guild Dawg, on Flickr

I have a Madeira C-600 under my bed! It has nylon strings and one very very, tiny ding. Other than that, it looks like new. Also has a case and a capo. The sounds is so mellow. I don't use it anymore. It says Guild 0744 on the label and was made in Japan. I certainly wouldn't sell it on Craig's List!

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a Madeira C-600 under my bed!
Welcome to LTG! Just in case somebody is interested, save that picture from about 1977:

s-l1600.jpg

Ralf