RIP Jethro Tull's Glen CornicK

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
...passed away in Hilo, Hawaii last Thursday while in hospice for congestive heart failure...

I seem to remember that he played an hollow-bodied bass, perhaps a Guild?

Had their album Benefit back in the day, great stuff!

Great story from the JT website:

Hi Glenn,

TM from New Jersey. Would you mind telling the gang about the pranks you used to play on Mick?
Thanks!

Mick was always very unpleasant to Roy the roadie who, at that time was making absolute minimum money, and was always yelling at him and complaining about everything. At that time we were all hard up for money and using well worn equipment. At one gig, Mick blew a speaker (1 of 8) and had to buy a replacement which Roy installed in one of Mick's cabinets. Roy kept the blown speaker and, after every gig, put the blown speaker back into one of Mick's cabinets to make him think he had blown another speaker and make him buy another new one. The good speakers that came from Mick's cabinets went into my cabinets to replace my thrashed speakers and Roy continued doing it until Mick had unknowingly replaced all 8 of my speakers! Mick always thought he had just had a bad run on speakers.

I never felt guilty about it as it was small payback for some of the unpleasant things that Mick did to us (and which I feel I must keep to myself)

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Glen once played a Starfire bass. Discussion here suggests it was a very early bass that had a serial number that dated to 1964, even though many sources will claim the Starfire bass was introduced in 1965.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Hmmm no clue what that amp is. Though I have seen Fender and Kustom PA column speakers like that as well

chefothefuture1

Reaction score
I was fortunate to play with him for the last couple of years here in Hawaii. He was an awesome guy to hang around with, with ever an anecdote from
some Tull or Turkey incident. Top that off with being the best bass player I've ever played with. He could play anything. He was a great friend as well.
So, talk about a dream come true- not only did I get to play with my "bass hero" but he was really cool as well. I miss him so :-(

houseisland

Reaction score
Maybe we get to see Glenn with his Guild here in this 1970s Top of the Pops lip-synced clip. We don't get to see it for long, so with my inexpert eyes, I cannot be certain that it is not an EB-2. Glenn was quite promiscuous with basses in the early days - EB-3s, Firebirds, Fenders, and maybe even a Guild S series. Look through the early clips on Youtube.

There was formerly on Youtube some early colour TV footage of Tull (in the Barre, Cornick line up) in which Glenn plays his Guild vertically as if he had recently switched over from string bass. I cannot find it now - might have from French TV. It was notable in that it was not lip-synced.

Glenn was also thrown under the bus by Anderson, fired so that Anderson's old school friend, Jeffrey Hammond, could have the gig. There is an Anderson produced DVD set in which almost all former members of Tull are reunited for a social occasion and are given interview time. Anderson lets Glenn speak the unvarnished truth and it is spoken without any evidence of bitterness or resentment. The two seemed to be relaxed and on friendly terms. Time heals....?

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm gonna say Gibson, EB2. Headstock looks wrong but more to the point there is a visible pickguard which was never a factory item on a Starfire bass but standard on a Gibson.

Bridge looks like something other than the harp and PU looks like a Gibson and not a Guild humbucker.

chefothefuture1

Reaction score
That's his EB2, which he thought was awful. He actually had a JSII and I gave him a Dark Star for it. I don't think he got around to putting it in.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This multi song clip has a lot of Glenn, thanks to the camera position.