1983 d-15

poser

Reaction score
I'll offer a few comments. But there are others here who are more knowledgeable about these guitars. They're all-mahogany arched-back dreadnoughts. I've never played one,but i'd like to. If I remember correctly, some people say the mahogany top gives them a nice mellow sound.

To me, the asking price sounds a tad high, especially since it doesn't come with a case. Others may think differently.
Two recently sold on eBay. One for $600 the other for $455. Both had hard-shell cases.

Daveyo

Reaction score
I had one, it was in nice condition but I sold it , it sounded kinda boxey.
Check out my D4on the for sale section, a better guitar , has binding and is in very good shape
Dave

Sperry

Reaction score
Over the years I've played a few all-mahogany guitars and have never been smitten by their sound. Boxy, as Daveyo says. Flat. No soul?

For five bills, one can get a D4 that almost looks like it never left the store. With a case.

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
I like mine. I like HOG. So, my critique is subjective just like those who don't like HOG. I don't know what "boxey" means but I don't believe the D-15 is for finger picking folk. Is $500 high? I don't believe so but yes, you can get a nice D4 for that.

Peace

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I played a flatback D-25 and liked it. Very warm, to my ear, so not a bluegrass guitar, but very pleasent!

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I like mine. I like HOG. So, my critique is subjective just like those who don't like HOG. I don't know what "boxey" means but I don't believe the D-15 is for finger picking folk. Is $500 high? I don't believe so but yes, you can get a nice D4 for that.
The word I always associated with that D15, Doc, was mellow. :rugby:

Joe

Neal

Reaction score
Mellow, yes! Perfect description. I have recently begun experimenting with open tunings on my '71 all-mahogany D-25, with a a brass pinky slide for added flavor, and the guitar comes alive in a bottleneck blues piece. It's mellow character is the perfect match for a slide, not too "metalic", but with a nice round tone instead.

Neal

Errant Tiger

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I wasn't SERIOUSLY considering this but I thought it might be nice... and it looks like it might be, just not for me. As always I appreciate the wealth of opinions and knowledge 'round these parts.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'd say that's a pretty positive review! :rugby:

Here's Doc's D15....he likes it!

si2cd1.jpg

Joe

Last edited: