Any thoughts on a D46BLO made in 1983 Westerley RI.

Reaction score
Just wondering on the collectibility and quality of this guild acoustic electric D46blo 1983 Westerley RI. Thanks for any and all insight / feedback.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
First, Welcome to LTG!

The D-46 is an interesting guitar, made for a short period in the first half of the 80s. AFAIK, it is the only Guild acoustic made with ash back and sides. It's basically a dreadnaught (think D-40 or D-50) with ash back and sides and an ash neck. The ash gives it a very striking "striped" appearance... Some like it, some don't (I do).

The early production D-46s often have a rosewood centerpiece in the back... making them (AFAIK) the only Guild acoustics with 3 piece backs. This was probably done to use ash pieces that were too small for the complete back, rather than for acoustic reasons. I don't know that I have seen a D-46 with the rosewood centerpiece later than mid-'81.

Tonewise, my D-46 has a rich, balanced tone, with sparkling trebles, strong mids, and a good solid bass. Sort of in between mahogany and rosewood... richer sounding with stronger bass than my mahogany D-35, but brighter and with more "jangle" and more balanced than my rosewood D-50. I'll add that mine is QUITE loud... one of my loudest. I would think it would be a good alternative to mahogany for bluegrass leads (but I am not a bluegrass player).

It's not what you would call rare... you will see half a dozen show up for sale on eBay in a year. Depending on condition, they might sell anywhere from $600-1100.

Last edited:

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Dave (GardMan) gave you the best possible answers, especially since he has one.
And since I see a first post, allow me to simply add another....WELCOME TO LTG! :rugby:

Stick around,
Joe

ga

geoguy

Reaction score
Welcome to LTG . . . I wonder what those extra letters after the model number (BLO) refer to?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
geoguy said:
I wonder what those extra letters after the model number (BLO) refer to?

That's most likely a D-46 BLD with a badly written capital 'D' that looks like a capital 'O', meaning it's a 'blonde' finished D-46.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Errant Tiger

Reaction score
Just chiming in here to say how much I love my 46! It's an '80, without the (to my eyes) awful rosewood centerpiece. I bought it in '94 for I think $750, and it is loud, balanced, and, when need be, capable of much subtlety.

Reaction score
Thanks for all your feedback. I've been giving it a lot of thought as to whether I want to sell my D-46 BLO (Blond). I do want it to go to a good home, someone that will cherish it like I have since I bought it back in 1984. Guess I should post it in the F/S section.