'65 D-40 with the snot played out of it

phinegan

Reaction score
Hello -

Well the old 1965 D-40 is now in my possession, safe and sound after being shipped all the way across the country.

My impressions - it certainly has had the snot played out of it. It's one of those guitars that I wish could tell its story - is all the wear and tear from good, honest playing time, or was the guitar abused and beaten-up? In any case, it has an excess of character!

One thing I noticed right off the bat is that it is NOT your typical "built like a tank" Guild dreadnought. The guitar is actually quite light and has a nice thin neck. The action is very low and I may need to have the action adjusted for my rather heavy attack. I suspect the bridge was shaved at some point. It also has a small crack just below the treble side of the bridge which seems unstable and may need to be cleated.

But the D-40 is no slouch in the tone department - it has a very pleasing woody tone, much as I would expect from an well-seasoned 'hog guitar. I wouldn't describe it as a cannon, but it has plenty of presence and punch.

So I'm going to let the old gal settle into being an East Coast axe and give her plenty of break-in time before I have any work done on her. I'm pretty confident she's going to be a keeper. Steve and "refret", thanks for giving me the opportunity to own a great old Guild.

Regards -

Dan

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
One thing I noticed right off the bat is that it is NOT your typical "built like a tank" Guild dreadnought.
Dan
Congrats, Dan!
Not knowing how many Guilds you've handled, I'll just point out that I can recall at least "a few" references to Hobokens being lightly built, and the "built like a tank" era seemed to be from mid '70's to mid '80s.
And Corona, going by my D40.
:biggrin-new:

phinegan

Reaction score
The D-40 is currently getting some cracks cleated as well as having the bridge repositioned. I'll report back after getting it back from the shop.

Dan

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Better check and make sure there's none of this left inside:

images

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Al, sometimes your humor is too cerebral. :smug:

walrus

phinegan

Reaction score
I got the D-40 back yesterday. Jake Brnich (jguitars.net) relocated the bridge, cleated six cracks on the top and reattached the pickguard. Having the bridge in the proper location and correctly glued to the top made an enormous improvement in both in intonation and tone. The guitar really projects and has much more of a punch then previously, and plays in tune pretty much all the way up the neck. While it's difficult to qualify, I think the overall tone is vastly improved.I'm beginning to like this old gal a great deal even though it is truly one of the ugliest functional guitars I've even seen.

I highly recommend Jake to anyone looking for skilled guitar repair. He took a good deal of time getting to know my style of playing and my preferences in how a guitar plays. While he thinks the Guild could use a refret, he explained that it had plenty of playing time left before that would become a playability issue. It was great that he didn't try to insist that he do everything that could be possibly done at this stage of the game, but rather that he deal wth the pressing issues and then make sure I was happy with the guitar before making a deeper financial commitment. He also told me that the old Guild turned out better than he expected!

I'll try to post some video of the D-40 in action soon.

Regards -

Dan