Bluegrass Jubilation: New Tacoma D-40BJ

sunpowder

Reaction score
Well, the 2007 D-40 BJ arrived safely at my house on Wednesday. I am extremely happy to report that it is in very near mint condition just as Ed at The String Shoppe said it was. Some very minor scratches on the pickguard is all I can find to show it has been played at all. And the top is red spruce, judging from the wider, slightly wavy grain and the minor run-out on the top...But I can see why Ed thought it was sitka, because it has more beautiful silking in the top than I normally see in Adi tops from Martin and such. It also has a nice darker, somewhat vintage color on the top, which I assume comes from Guild using some sort of toner before finishing.

Anyway, I pulled it out, tuned it up and let loose. Strings were SO DEAD that I wouldn't be surprised if they were original from 2007...But even though the E-A-D strings were remarkable flabby and tubby, the high end still rang with that signature Guild fat, solid ring that I love. Played it for 10 minutes or so before dinner. Amazed at how light this D-40 is compared with my F50R.

After dinner, I pulled off the corroded strings and cleaned the entire guitar down with a damp microfiber and strung her up with some J. Pearse medium 80/20s.

BOOM! There it is. Could not be happier with the tone and responsiveness of this guitar. Offers the string balance, and rich, chunky tone while strumming that all my Guilds have had, as well as great responsiveness, and clear, ringing notes when played fingerstyle.

Great compliment to my F50R. That one is a piano, with a deep, sophisticated, dark-chocolate tone that I love. This one is just as powerful, but simpler in tone. Cleaner and with less complex "reverb" quality. The necks (being only a year apart) are identical in shape and feel. Feels like coming home. And, this D40 just kills in Drop D. Just huge sounding, but more direct than my F50R which can get almost too boomy in that tuning.

Anyway, just wanted to follow up on my promise to give a short review when it arrived. I was thinking of going 'vintage' Guild mahogany, but I am sure glad I didn't now. Can't wait to hear this guitar in 10 years or so.

Here are a couple pics from the dealers site:

1.jpg
4.jpg

I will try to take some shots of this with my F50R later to show the happy couple. :love-struck:

M.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice! Congratulations! Yes, the top on this Tacoma made one is Solid Red Spruce. You can find the complete specs here.
Ralf

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Congrats on what certainly appears to be a great score. A real looker, that D40.
I find that I'm more interested in Tacoma-built Guilds than ever before so keep us posted as you spend more time with it. :rugby:

Joe

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice photos. What a great looking Guild dread. Congrats. I like mediums as well, guild dreads seem to like them too.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow! Congrats on the new guitar!! That's a beauty for SURE!! I've heard nothing but good things about those lighter-built Tacoma guitars and a D-40 is just a classic. Play it in good health!! :encouragement:

6L6

Reaction score
Congrats! Like I said before, the Tacoma-builts are my fav Guilds!

Here's yours truly playing my 2006 D-40BJ, K&K Pure Mini-equipped:

1901211_10203535782941712_1258757743_n_zps9e2bfba3.jpg

Bill

Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
Love those Tacoma Guilds with adi tops. "Responsive" is the perfect word for them, along with "loud"!

Congratulations!

Neal