Guild Starfire V with Bigsby Newark Street 2014

Reaction score
Hello Guild Lovers, I am a newbie here and on the Guild World.

I decided to buy a Semi (I have Les Pauls and Strats) and fell in love with the Guild Starfire V with Bigsby (2014 model). I found one in Stores and got it hold for me to try.

As Guild has moved to Cordoba there are not many of this model available and the only reviews I've seen (Excellent ones by the way) are form UK Guitarist Magazine: http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/namm-2014-the-best-new-electric-guitars-593567/4

Any one here owns one of this? Are any drawbacks on this? When I search in this forum for "Starfire V' I don't get a lot of results. What about this guitar that have catch my dreams but non have been talking about it?

Any thoughts will be appreciated

All the best,

André

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The problem is that the SFV is a new model, introduced right before Guild was sold to Cordoba. CMG has their collective hands full at the moment, but there will still be guitars in the pipeline. Fender wasn't putting a lot of effort into Guild marketing, but I'm pleased with the Newark Street SFIV I have.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Default, I understand that.

So probably, if I get this Starfire V with Bigsby, I'll be on of the few to have it before the Cordoba ones arrive. I am so excited about it and that I could get a very nice Semi for a lot less than the Gibson Es335 route.

Any thoughts on the adjustomatic bridge? They get out of tune easily?

Lets wait and see if any other member has this model and could share his comments on it.

All the best

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I think I've played most of the Newark Street guitars, and for the money, you can't really go wrong with them. Nice necks, and I like the big frets.

You might want to pin the base of the bridge somehow, double stick tape, sandpaper, screws, something - because if you bend strings, it will move and throw your guitar out of tune.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
André,
bem-vindo ao LTG!

The problem is that the SFV is a new model, introduced right before Guild was sold to Cordoba.
Steve, just to not confuse André, the Guild Newark St. Starfire V is a new 2014 model, but the original Guild Starfire V was already introduced in 1963!

Just a few famous Starfire V players:

Leslie Feist:
feist-live.jpg

Jimi Hendix (1966 left-handed version):
f9716b28495c0ab267f83796c56b9cd7956e41f8.pjpg

Leslie West (later of Mountain), about 1967, when he was with the Vagrants:
leslie_vocal.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello Walter, thanks!! I am actually a havy hand bend player. So is ok to use double stick tape to "fix" the bridge? There is a special one or just regular double stick tape? And how about placent. How can I find the right spot?

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello Walter, thanks!! I am actually a havy hand bend player. So is ok to use double stick tape to "fix" the bridge? There is a special one or just regular double stick tape? And how about placent. How can I find the right spot?
The thinnest you can find. I've used those little double stick squares they sell for photo albums, they're small and thin.

If the bridge base is in a spot where you can easily make the bridge intonate for every string, it's in the right spot. Put some paper painter's tape next to the ends of the base, mark the location of the base on the tape in pencil, loosen strings, take off bridge, put double stick tape underneath the base, put bridge base back on the guitar in the right spot, tune the strings back to pitch, and you're done.

Reaction score
Hello Walter, Thanks for the feedback. How is this about using double stick tape? There is any special kind to not damage the guitar? And how about position to stick.
Cheers

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's going to be hard to find something to damage a poly finish. Those little squares are archival, and acid free. If you have a problem finding them in Brasil, shoot me your address and I'll mail you some.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm thinking you won't look nearly as good with it, though...