99 Westerly Starfire V Help!

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was lucky enough to stumble upon this site last night, and there is great information here. I had a couple of questions, so I'll do my best to make it brief and not sound like an idiot.

For years my "player" guitar on stage was a Guild Starfire V. I believe it is a 1999 (serial number CH002311) from the Westerly shop. Eventually I gave up the ghost, and put this baby up. Now I want to rehab it, and realized it has been sorely neglected. For some reason I cannot upload pictures (strike that - pics now uploaded), but I've got rust on the pickup screws, rust on the bigsby, and while I was cleaning it the other day I accidentally adjusted the bridge heighth and now the strings won't stay on.

I know guitars aren't rocket science, but I was wondering if there was a thread on here (I searched and didn't see anything) that talks about replacement parts for this particular model, best way to set up, etc. Now that I'm older and actually care about my instruments, I want to get this thing looking and sounding great again. Any help would be appreciated, and thanks!!!!

* updated to add photos

Last edited:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi, you can't upload pics on the forum, you have to use photobucket, or another photo site to host the images. The you link to them here.
Where are the strings coming off? Is the bigsby strung correctly?

esp-eclipse-ictm-bigsby-630-80.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks, Default. And to answer your first question ... no. THAT'S how long it has been since I've changed strings on this guitar. And now I feel like a total idiot because I didn't realize that immediately. :) I thought I had screwed something up when I accidentally moved the height of the bridge, and didn't even think to check if I had strung the bigsby correctly. This has to be the equivalent of "did you turn it on?" in response to a tech question.

dbirchett

Reaction score
Correctly? That depends on whether the strings stay in the slots or not. I have been tempted to string mine that way.

That isn't the way that it was designed to work but, it may give you better Bigsby action than running the strings under the bar.

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
The strings go under the tension bar of the Bigsby ( Guildsby). That will give you more break angle over the bridge.