1985 d16

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a guitar and have found a person selling what they have written as a '1984 D16CH'.

Now, according to the serial number, it is a 1985 D16. I have never owned a Guild before and cannot find any information on this model. It is a bit disconcerting that this person has the wrong information, but it may be an honest mistake. Could anyone give me any direction on what to look for?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a guitar and have found a person selling what they have written as a '1984 D16CH'.

Now, according to the serial number, it is a 1985 D16. I have never owned a Guild before and cannot find any information on this model. It is a bit disconcerting that this person has the wrong information, but it may be an honest mistake. Could anyone give me any direction on what to look for?

Hello Coyster,

Welcome! The seller has probably given you the correct information and he's offering a D-16 with a 'Cherry' finish, hence the 'CH' suffix.
You need to give me the complete serial number to date it for you!

Good luck!

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Reaction score
Hello Coyster,

Welcome! The seller has probably given you the correct information and he's offering a D-16 with a 'Cherry' finish, hence the 'CH' suffix.

Good luck!

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Hey Hansmoust,

Thank you very much! Do you have any idea what one should pay for a guitar such as this? I believe it is not in mint condition (has a few marks on it). I know if would completely depend on exactly what condition the guitar is in, but just wondering about a ballpark range for what they go for.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome, Coyster!
You're in good hands with Hans; he is the authority on Guilds, and literally wrote the book on them. If you can get serial # and pics, he'll be able to tell you when it was made, and if everything is original.
The proof of any guitar is in the playing, and I think you'll be happy with Guild.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. I wouldn't be too discouraged with a Guild seller who is only a year off the actual year of production. That is actually not too shabby.

Reaction score

I cannot view this until it is approved so I hope I added the images correctly. If not I will fix them.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Welcome. I wouldn't be too discouraged with a Guild seller who is only a year off the actual year of production. That is actually not too shabby.
Right. Coyster, the s/n listings posted on the web can't actually can't be taken as "gospel", there's a lot of reasons the listings themselves could be off, but Hans has been keeping a database of reported s/ns and comparing to factory build logs for many years now.
Here's an example: it might actually have a 1984 date stamp inside, but that stamp was applied when the "superstructure" was finished, before the guitar itself was actually completed and ready to sell.
It got its s/n at the end of the building process and the year the s/n was assigned becomes the actual "model year" of that instrument. So if something was date stamped late in '84 and waited for a few weeks before finally being completed it could easily wind up being an '85.
BTW Cherry's my favorite color finish.
:tranquillity: