From Coast to Coast: New Cordoba Guild video

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I noticed at 1:36 someone was playing a vintage Starfire VI. I will officially start the rumor that perhaps that is coming in the AP line? Afterall, why else would they have one? :rolleyes:
FMIC's Mike Lewis had bought plenty of vintage Guilds for using as template for the Newark St. series and I guess the same was done in NH for some of the custom guitars. Actually Guild had over time posted a few pictures of such vintage guitars from previous factories in NH. So I guess that collection ended up in Oxnard, you actually see some vintage cases on a table just before the Starfire VI showed up.
Ralf

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What the video also shows is that Guild's factory is now located in an adjacent building to the CMG warehouse.
The CMG warehouse/ Cordoba custom shop is at 1401 Stellar Drive but the truck in the video is unloaded at 1440 Pacific Avenue.
So 1440 Pacific Avenue in Oxnard seems to be the new home for the Guild factory! The size of the building is 33,278 sqft.

1676367834450.png

Ralf

Last edited:

JHJ

Reaction score
The state that they will also be building electrics as well. Good news.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
...and I am heartbroken that it is no longer 2 hours 15 mins from mine! :sad:

But, things being as they are, looks like CMG is starting off trying to do the good thing.

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That's more effective advertising, in less than two minutes, than I saw FMIC/Guild do during their entire time at NH. Cordoba really wants to sell guitars, I think!

Totally agree. This is an awesome intro to Cordoba's pledge and the film speaks volumes. The future appears bright and we can look forward to, quite possibly, the best Guilds yet.

Anyone know a ballpark date for production?

How many Guild employees were working in NH? It will be interesting to see how many are committed to the Oxnard Guild line which might give us a peek into how many they intend to produce on a daily/monthly basis.

This is pretty exciting stuff...

geoguy

Reaction score
Amazing . . . open a tractor trailer, offload a guitar factory, complete with a starter-kit supply of wood.

It sure seems that Guild now has the right owners. Two thumbs-up, CMG.

geoguy

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't mean to diminish the contributions of the NH workers with my comment above. I greatly appreciate both of the NH-built guitars that I'm fortunate to own.

Does anyone know if some NH workers (other than Mr. Ferguson) are making the transition to CA?

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Random thoughts...

Guild would never officially say how many guitars they produced in a month or a year. There have been some estimates,
perhaps backed up by "inside" information.

At the 1st LMG, FrankU talked about positioning themselves like Collings. If memory serves, Collings has about 50 employees right now.
There is a published total of pieces per year, escapes me off the top of my head, but it includes acoustics, mandos, ukes and electrics made
in house.

Huss and Dalton has at my last count between 9 and 11 people working, and they produce 350 +/- per year, guitars and a few banjos.

At LMG II, Kim and Dave were over the moon saying that they had broken (destroyed!) all the sales quotas that FMIC had set for them. Life was good.

At LMGIV, during the tour, it was said that the D55 was their biggest seller...and based upon he replacement Kim got for me, they were out straight making
them...every one on the line was spoken for.

Yet they get closed and (happily) sold off...mind thinks back to H & D coupla years back. In order to keep the shop going and avoid layoffs they came
out with what they called the "Road Series." Think Guild Standard-Series...about the same pricing. Orders from dealers were closed after two days! But they could not make any money on them. Kept the shop open but they were losers...yet, try to find one used. Wondering, just wondering, were the Standards the same thing? And Guild even expanded the line...

I am really sad we lost an old New England business, after we got it back!. But wish the very best for the Oxnard bunch...even if they have a weird name for their city.

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I believe there were about 50 souls in New Hartford :heart-borken:

Gotta be difficult on you good folks up there, Bill.

Cordoba's acquisition is very meaningful in terms of long range stability when we consider all the workers Fender displaced/left behind in Westerly, Corona, Tacoma, and New Hartford. We owe all those good folks a debt of gratitude for keeping the Guild machine rolling.

P-E-Zmusic

Reaction score
Other than Ren anyone else from New Hartford Going? btw There going to a service center at the old factory KMC fretted instruments

valleyguy

Reaction score
What a great video and intro to the new digs. Looks like they're pretty proud of what they're doing, best wishes here on a success.

jcwu

Reaction score
When I saw this scene:

leftovers.jpg

I could almost hear him say in his head, "Oh man, what am I going to do with all this leftover stock??"

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Other than Ren anyone else from New Hartford Going? btw There going to a service center at the old factory KMC fretted instruments

Haven't heard about anybody getting hired but Ren. It may be that nobody wanted to switch coasts, just like Westerly.

ladytexan

Reaction score
CMG did hold interviews in NH, but the understanding is no one wanted to move to CA, like Default (Steve) said. So sadly, the transitioning to production in Oxnard is going to be more difficult for CMG without the 'tribal knowledge' (as in reference to the management concept/term) of the talented NH folks.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
When I saw this scene:

leftovers.jpg

I could almost hear him say in his head, "Oh man, what am I going to do with all this leftover stock??"

Yup. That is an excellent question. Where or with what big distros will CMG showcase the brand? Where does CMG sell now? Is it solely website sales? Is CMG in guitar center?