Defining Classic Rock Radio

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just got home from from the concert. I want an accordion...

welcome.jpg

Jeff_L

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
I guess I must be older than dirt, because "Classic Rock" to me means Bill Haley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, early Elvis, and pretty much anything pre-Beatles. After that I started listening the to folk groups of the era - Kingston Trio, PP&M, and the like. When they faded out it was all country, and still is.

Like I said, older than dirt. Post Beatles and the British Invasion, and most all of the groups of the '60s and '70s are just noise to me.

Harpymorgan

Reaction score
When I see things like this, I am glad we have the good old BBC. Whilst they have one station "for the kids" and one more AOR, we also have 6 music, who play a great range of music and genres from the 20s upwards. And DJs to include Iggy Pop, Huey Morgan and Bob Dylan, although I guess he may be syndicated.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Well...when I was small, my father would play Red River Rock, The Banana Boat Song and The Battle of New Orleans on the phonograph...and they were not new then...I am probably out of the running!

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
If I could listen to Classic Rock on the radio without commercials and DJ's BS I would. Why? Because today's country music just doesn't do it for me, I refuse to listen to rap music (any of it), I can't actually define contemporary, alternative, or the so-called New Age. I can't identify with the music of today's youth, there aren't any Bluegrass stations where I live, and no one plays Robert E. Keen, Emmylou, Steve Young, John Hiatt, Chris Knight, Guy Clark, Grayson Capps, or Delbert McClinton. Sirius stations are programmed to play the same songs, at the same time, every day. I thank the Lord for Youtube and of course my guitar playing friends.

Peace

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Look into Pandora, Doc. You'll like what you hear, and you get to pick what you listen to anyway. I have it on right now.....Johnny Cash singing Big River, Old Crow Medicine Show, John Prine, etc.
No ads if you pay just a tad more. :cool:

Joe

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If I could listen to Classic Rock on the radio without commercials and DJ's BS I would. Why? Because today's country music just doesn't do it for me, I refuse to listen to rap music (any of it), I can't actually define contemporary, alternative, or the so-called New Age. I can't identify with the music of today's youth, there aren't any Bluegrass stations where I live, and no one plays Robert E. Keen, Emmylou, Steve Young, John Hiatt, Chris Knight, Guy Clark, Grayson Capps, or Delbert McClinton. Sirius stations are programmed to play the same songs, at the same time, every day. I thank the Lord for Youtube and of course my guitar playing friends.

Peace

You could move to Texas, doc. Most of those folks live here and we see them often just down the road at Gruene Hall...

Jeff_L

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
You've got the lead so far....71 in 4 months.
And like Minnie Pearl, I'm just proud to be here. :peaceful:

Joe

*Oh yeah, Happy belated!

Thank you. And yep, I'm proud to be here too, any day I can get out of bed and breathe on my own.

I guess "Senior Member" means something different for guys like us maybe?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
So what does it mean if I clicked away from Bob Seger's "Night Moves" on the "Classic Rock" station and landed on Jackson 5's "ABC", on the "Classic Pop" station, and stayed there? (having already surfed all the other presets)