Which guitar do I take on the road? Jackson Browne’s answer:

jthrel

Reaction score
Which guitar do I take on the road? Jackson Browne’s answer:

I’ll take this one and that one and that one and these over here and…. I need a bigger truck!
This year’s on- stage guitar total was 23.

JacksonBrowneGuitars_zps7b947151.jpg

Jackson Browne brought his Solo Acoustic Tour 2014 to Omaha last night (July 2, 2014). Mr. Browne is well known for his extensive vintage guitar collection. Regrettably, no Guilds were identified in the racks. Despite the huge herd of lovely acoustic guitars, he played at least a third of his songs using electric guitars making extensive use of a Martin F-55. The F-55 is a thinbody archtop from the early 60’s with dual DeArmond humbucker pickups – similar to the Guild Starfire from the same era . He also pulled out a Fender Strat, a Fender Tele and an ornate resonator.

The acoustic guitars that I could identify were largely Gibson with a few Martins filling out the rack. The acoustic guitars used in the show had pickups with an additional microphone positioned in front of the guitar.

For this tour, Jackson stood while playing guitar – the only stool on the stage was at the piano. The acoustic clarity and tone were superb and Mr. Browne’s guitar technique was powerful and precise. He emotionally communicated his catalogue of songs with the bare minimum of one instrument and his voice (I guess that is actually two instruments). Many kudos to the guitar tech in charge of wrangling the herd and the sound man who is an artist in his own right.

So, next time you are trying to pick out your road guitar, heck, just take ‘em ALL.

Al

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That is an impressive collection, my guess however is he could have pulled off all his songs perfectly with an old D40....

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Love me some Jackson Browne tunes. John Henderson and I would share phone calls years ago regarding our favorite JB tunes. Those were some good days, as I recall... Here's to ya, Capn..

Good topic to piggyback on. The M20 and the DV52 share playing time as we travel the RV trail. The DV52 was on the road last week; played on the banks of the crystal clear Frio River in west-central Texas.

Last edited:

guildman63

Reaction score
Seeing this picture makes me think of the scene in Good Will Hunting when Will and Sean are in Sean's office, and Sean is trying to connect with Will and find out what his deal is.

Sean: Have you read any of these books?
Will: No
Sean: Why not?
Will: 'cause they're the wrong f___ing books!

Have I played any of those guitars? No, 'cause they're the wrong f___ing guitars! :witless:

charliea

Reaction score
Let me say, first, that I really don't care how Mr. Browne and company advertise the tour. In fact, I like Jackson Browne. But "Acoustic" tour? Every guitar has a pickup, especially the electric guitars used, but the concert is "Acoustic"? The amplified guitars are further processed through mics, as is the voice, but the concert is "Acoustic"? Where is the line, pray tell?

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Let me say, first, that I really don't care how Mr. Browne and company advertise the tour. In fact, I like Jackson Browne. But "Acoustic" tour? Every guitar has a pickup, especially the electric guitars used, but the concert is "Acoustic"? The amplified guitars are further processed through mics, as is the voice, but the concert is "Acoustic"? Where is the line, pray tell?

whatever happened to micing guitars anymore? the sound is way better. wasnt stage feedback a problem back in the day. they mic'd havens at wookstock, why can we not still do that?

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The F-55 is a thinbody archtop from the early 60’s with dual DeArmond humbucker pickups– similar to the Guild Starfire from the same era .
Sigh...Michael Wright is notoriously sloppy in his guitar articles and books...those are DeArmond single coil pickups of course, not humbuckers.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Maybe he's just making sure he has a "back up" guitar (or 19) in case he breaks a string or something...

walrus

jthrel

Reaction score
Sigh...Michael Wright is notoriously sloppy in his guitar articles and books...those are DeArmond single coil pickups of course, not humbuckers.

Yes, on reflection the single coils seem obvious. Thanks for "picking up" on that. :witless: Despite the lack of humbuck-ishness, Mr. Browne was extracting some seriously good tones from this rather unusual Martin.

Al

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Those Martins are great! A friend of mine has one, and they look a little funky, but they sound and play great!

jthrel

Reaction score
whatever happened to micing guitars anymore? the sound is way better. wasnt stage feedback a problem back in the day. they mic'd havens at wookstock, why can we not still do that?

I generally have low tonal expectations from an acoustic guitar in this setting. On the contrary, I was quite pleasantly surprised, even amazed, by the quality and clarity of acoustic tone. JB is playing larger halls and apparently felt compelled to stand up while playing his guitar. In a large venue, the standing posture encourages artist/audience interaction but doesn't lend itself the the tricky geometry of wholly mic'd acoustic guitar capture. My experience with mic'd acoustics is "sit down, find the sweet spot and DON'T MOVE". Apparently Mr. Browne and crew have worked out a formula for pickups and open mics that works extremely well and allows him the latitude for limited footwork. He also had a small pedal board in the loop. There were absolutely NO problems with feedback - even when the strings were played aggressively followed by sustains or when harmonic 5th and 7th fret strums were added.

Jackson DID point out the glaring conflict between the tour's name (Acoustic) versus his frequent choice of the electric guitar. He largely does not use a setlist and chooses his musical weapon on-the-fly based on whatever song that bubbles up inside of him (or the voices in the audience) at the moment.

Al

jthrel

Reaction score
............ But I digress. This thread is about Road Guitars (similar to Road Beers without the safety concerns, legal/moral implications or need for frequent bathroom breaks :witless:). When travelling for pleasure (no gigs), I am a total coward when it comes to choosing a Road Guitar. Although the Mrs and I often use a camper during our excursions, I take along my "stunt guitar" -a Yamaha FG700S. Crafted with pride in the People's Republic of China, it has a spruce top, plywood back/sides and a truss rod. I brought it into the fold for less than $200 from Guitar Center (where there is ALWAYS a 15%-off sale waiting in the wings). After striking a deal, I worked with the salesman to "find" a decent hardshell case in the used instrument hoarde. I sent the guitar to my luthier for a good setup, added ebony bridge pins to tame the treble range and strung it with Elixers. Now I have a guitar with a very playable action and tone that is more-than-good-enough for howling with the coyotes and capturing the rapt attention of the trout. The polyurethane finish and coated strings are resistant to the unpredictable humidity/rain/snow/grime encountered on the road. I won't cry about if it gets whacked by a branch, falls out of a folding chair or must be used as a defensive weapon (El-KaBong!). I'll keep my Guilds and Martins at home - waiting patiently for my return.:sentimental:

Al

phinegan

Reaction score
I'm a big Jackson Browne fan and have been since "Saturate before Using", but...
23 guitars is just plain major league overkill.

"The sisters of the sun are gonna rock me on the water..."

Dan

mario1956

Reaction score
"howling with the coyotes"

Hmmmm......do you really sing that bad?? My description of how I sound was penned by Leo Kottke..."geese farts on a muggy day"....howling with coyotes not so bad.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Wow, the logistics of having that many guitars with you on stage (and the road) must be staggering. I guess he must keep a small army of techs employed. Ignorant question: Does anyone else have that many guitars with him on stage?

guildman63

Reaction score
It seems like he has a different guitar for each song. If I had one for each song I know I would have around six guitars. Wait, I do have six! I guess me and Jackson aren't so different Afterall. :pride::laughing:

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
Wow, the logistics of having that many guitars with you on stage (and the road) must be staggering. I guess he must keep a small army of techs employed. QUOTE]
Those folks will just have to 'stay,.....just a little bit longer'. ( If the union dont mind)

I'd imagine that he'll have to a few more updated verses to his homage to his roadies......'The Load out'.
He's giving those fellas a lot more work to do. Whew!
Roll on Jackson! :apple:
Keepem'comin'.

" We got Ritchie Pryor on the video"
An update is in order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UC4SLsPQic