General concensus of Guild GAD series...

BoneDigger

Reaction score
This is just one man's experience here and I don't mean to upset any of the die hard MIA Guild fans. I have one Westerly Guild and soon will be picking up a second one, since I am on this Guild kick right now. But, I wanted to give a shout out about the Guild GAD line. I presently have a D140, a D125, and a D125-12. Each and every one of these guitars has been just an absolute pleasure to own and it just blows me away what you can get for your money these days. Now, granted, for the cost of a GAD new you can usually wait and find a good used American version, but these are DANG good guitars in their own right. The fit and finish, at least on my three, are outstanding. The tone and playability are also very, very good. MY D125 sounds just absolutely awesome, especially tuned down a half step. The D125 is the same, and I think the D140 is a great guitar with a wonderful woody, dry tone and projection for days.

I just sat down and put the D140 through its paces on some bluegrass flat picking and it just sounded GREAT! So, I felt like giving these guitars a shout out.

So, what is the general concensus from the Guild gurus around here? Love em or hate em, or just kind of meh...?

Todd

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't hate them. I nearly bought a GAD D50 back in 06 or 07. Huge tone, great neck. Nice and light weight. But I didn't like the thick poly finish. And across the street from the one guitar shop was this other I happened into that had some old westerlies on the wall. They just felt more right is all.

BoneDigger

Reaction score
Lots of looks on this thread but no replies!

So, everyone hates the GAD guitars? :)

Todd

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
I've never played one so I don't know if I hate 'em or not. I've heard a lot of good things about them. I have the Guilds I want, though I wouldn't shy away from a nice D55. However, I'm not looking to purposefully purchase anything I know to be made in China.

Peace

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

Todd

No. Search is your friend even if it is awkward to use ;-)

What you will find are that:
  • Some people have owned GADs, still do, and like them.
  • Some people have owned GADs, liked them, but have moved on to more expensive instruments.
  • Some people have never owned GADs and never will, for reasons best left un-discussed. PM me if you want specifics.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Todd
Ahhh... I see while I was composing this Frono stepped up with a characteristically concise and anti-inflammatory response.
In sympathy for your hope for a "quick answer" though, please allow me to expand a bit:
In the past this question has tended to get dragged down into debates and digressions about the country of origin of the GADs, and politics, and international trade and economics, and all kinds of......issues better left undebated, here on this forum,...if you see what I mean....
To answer your question from my personal observations, I think I can only recall one owner's "lukewarm" reception, but it seems like 99% plus of owners love 'em.
Even some of us "MIA" loyalists have to admit that, going by these glowing owner reviews, they DO seem to be an excellent value for the price.
It's been suggested that it's possible Guild owes its very survival to this move on Fender's part, since they continued to be available through 2 different domestic factory relocations and a SEVERE economic downturn.
There's also been a suggestion that they serve as an introduction to the brand for folks who might want to simply "test the waters", or want a new instrument with a warranty at a reasonable price, and then become interested in exploring why the domestic product could command a higher price.
We've got several members here in that school too, who did see the value of the subtle quality refinements in the domestic builds, and "stepped up".
But I suspect most of us have become a little bit shy of potentially starting up the acrimony that always sems to develop around this subject, again.
It's become kind of harsh a couple of times before.
I particularly recall the time one member called for a mass burning and deep burial of the profane ashes of all imported guitars, and some people thought he was actually joking.
Then he had the nerve to show up with a Gibson. Here.
Pascal, you there?
(OK, full disclosure, those last couple of comments were "inside jokes" and will hopefully serve as a humorous lightning rod to keep things from catching fire as we move along...)
:tranquillity:

Last edited:

Watasha

Reaction score
The GAD's were my introduction to Guild. They are very good value & a lot of guitar for the money. What they aren't is a USA Guild, my D55 is in a different stratosphere than a D150. That said, if I had a child old enough to play right now I would most likely start them off with a M120 & they would have a killer first guitar. Nothing wrong with GAD's although I wish they were made in Canada or somewhere besides China.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
A measured and reasonable response, adorshki! See, you can do it!

walrus

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I've owned 3 GAD30s and 1 F130R.
I thought they were all very well made, sounded good, and were great values as priced.
The Chinese Guilds are what they are and don't pretend to be anything else. Oftentimes we become snobs and refuse to look at things that don't fit our criteria, however well based they might or might not be.

If you play the guitar and you like everything about it, including the price, don't fret (no pun intended) about it....buy it.

cfkt.jpg

GAD30

Joe

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, you asked! I've played probably a dozen or so GAD Guilds and didn't like any of them. YMMV of course.

BoneDigger

Reaction score
Ah, I see... It's one of THOSE topics. My bad. I figured there would be some of the politics, and some of the "it has to be made anywhere but China" thing. Didn't know it was that hotly debated. Thanks for sharing your answers, each and every one. As you know, I'm kind of new here. I have owned Taylors, and Martins, and a few other good brands, and I have really started taking a liking to the Guild tone. As noted, I have a few now. The politics of the whole China thing doesn't bother me. And, I think Chinese guitars generally get a bad wrap, perhaps unnecessarily. My Blueridge is a very nice guitar.

I will admit, in regard to the GAD series, I didn't particularly like the D150 that I plaid. I thought it was just too blah for my taste. Eventually I may move to a completely American guitar collection, but I'm quite happy with the GADs that I have.

Todd

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Todd, just for the record, that I don't like GADs has nothing to do with where they're made. They could have been made in the US and I still wouldn't have liked them.

BoneDigger

Reaction score
Oh, I understand. I wasn't aiming that at any person. I was just making a broad, generalized statement.

Todd

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh, I understand. I wasn't aiming that at any person. I was just making a broad, generalized statement.

Todd

That being said, I still prefer my guitars to be made in the US. It's one thing that we still do better than anybody.

Neal

Reaction score
Here's my take. I have owned two GAD's (a nice D-140, and currently a M-120 that I use as a travel guitar), used Westerly Guilds (best values in guitars today, IMO), a used Tacoma Guild (which I just love) and several new New Hartford Guilds (which I can't seem to put down).

For $400-$500, the GAD's are a great choice in a solidly-built, well-executed Guild design. Once you cross into the $600-$1000 range, the Westerly's are hard to beat. When you get over $1300, I'd be putting my money into a used New Hartford Guild. They are that good.

And any time I see a Tacoma Guild, I go straight over to it in the shop to check it out. A lot of the New Hartford designs originated in Tacoma, and can be had for much cheaper.

But for what they are, and what they are meant to be, there are absolutely no flies on the GAD's.

Neal

'71 D-25
'73 D-35
'77 D-50
'81 D-212
'07 F-30
'12 F-50 Std
'13 F-47R
'13 M-120

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
No. Search is your friend even if it is awkward to use ;-)

What you will find are that:
  • Some people have owned GADs, still do, and like them.
  • Some people have owned GADs, liked them, but have moved on to more expensive instruments.
  • Some people have never owned GADs and never will, for reasons best left un-discussed. PM me if you want specifics.

4th option for pickers like me who:

. owned two; didn't like 'em and sold 'em...

I thought they played comfortably, but each lacked soul, which I attribute to the finish.

If inclined to purchase another Asian-crafted guitar, I'd seriously consider an Eastman. Very nice guitars in the reasonably-priced range...

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I thought they played comfortably, but each lacked soul, which I attribute to the finish.

If inclined to purchase another Asian-crafted guitar, I'd seriously consider an Eastman. Very nice guitars in the reasonably-priced range...

Very good summation of the GAD line Ken. I thought they were nice enough to play, but lacked a sound that moved me. I don't know whether it's the finish or the construction, or a combination of the two. I also agree about Eastman guitars as likely being best of the Asians. They make some very nice guitars for the money. I particularly remember a round shoulder dread that was 90% as good as most J45s at 50-60% of the money.

pete6273

Reaction score
The second Guild that I have is a m120. I bought if for my eldest grandson. Paid $150 for it. While it is a nice playing guitar, it doesn't have the sound my early 70's d25 has. Compared to the d25 it, to me just sounds muffled. Different strings perhaps? May I ask what does GAD stand for? I knew it was made in China, and that really doesn't bother me. The price I paid for it was definitely the deciding factor in my purchasing it. Grandson doesn't play it he is much more into wrestling and girls and baseball, not necessarily in that order, at age 16 girls are definitely on his radar these days, so I may confiscate it from him.........Jim