Piezoelectric on a Guild Starfire II

Ahreeman

Reaction score
Hi mates,

As the title suggests, piezo pickups fitted on a Guildstarfire II, along with the allready fitted pickups...
Has anyone gave it a try?
Would it be a good or a bad idea...?

What do you think of it ???

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
piezo pickups fitted on a Guildstarfire II, along with the allready fitted pickups...

Pete Brown, the luthier who works on my guitars, has a highly-modified Guild Freshman with (I think) three pickups AND a piezo, and takes great delight in demonstrating the variations in tone he gets with the all the various permutations and combinations of pickups available to him.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So what do you want to achieve with such setup? Copy a Taylor T5 ? Sure, whatever you like can be done. But I am not sure how good of an acoustic guitar a Starfire II will be.
Ralf

Ahreeman

Reaction score
Pete Brown, the luthier who works on my guitars, has a highly-modified Guild Freshman with (I think) three pickups AND a piezo, and takes great delight in demonstrating the variations in tone he gets with the all the various permutations and combinations of pickups available to him.

this sounds promising, thanks for the insight !!!

So what do you want to achieve with such setup? Copy a Taylor T5 ? Sure, whatever you like can be done. But I am not sure how good of an acoustic guitar a Starfire II will be.
Ralf

dunno, maybe expand the audio palette available to my bass... and since its already a semi-hollow the piezo might do the trick... (if i can bring myself to allow a luthier dig holes and do some franken-stuff-modes on my SF...).

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
dunno, maybe expand the audio palette available to my bass... and since its already a semi-hollow the piezo might do the trick...
You know what, when you wrote "Starfire II" I was thinking about the Starfire II six string guitar, not the bass. I missed that this was in the bass discussion subforum.
Ralf

grisezd

Reaction score
Totally different bass of course, but I had a Spector Hollowcore with a piezo bridge. Thought it would be a great idea. I found that the piezo had a harsh, brittle tone that didn't blend well with the mag pickup and that was on a production instrument. You might want to try a bass or two with the system you're interested in before taking the plunge!