Texas Thanks Phil Collins

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, Shirley also got a YouTube video...Disclaimer: Don't click the link if you already know what to expect...No complaints if you did click the link please...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCSi8Ma4uY0
O.k., we better stop with the veer here....It's supposed to be a banned topic (the veer, not Phil)...
Ralf

Last edited:

guildman63

Reaction score
Okay, as much as that photo continues to amaze me, let's sort of get this thing back on track. Here are a few videos of Phil on drums with Genesis.

First is a more modern video of a tune from later in his career.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vLRJ3BBAK9k

And here is a video from the Seconds Out tour in 1977. At the 4:10 mark you will see Phil running up to his kit after performing the vocals in front. This is much closer to the vintage Genesis sound, but is when the band started to transition to more of a mainstream sound instead of very progressive.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HiU79oS88cs

Chester Thompson is joining Phil in the first video, and I believe the second as well, although I can't get a good glimpse of the other drummer. Bill Bruford also played with Genesis in the 70's, but I believe he was out of the picture by 1977. Phil and Chester are two of the finest drummers that I have ever seen, although there are many that I love.

I haven't had a chance to talk about Genesis in a long time, but I will try to control myself. :laughing:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Genesis talk is good! I have "Selling England By The Pound" in my car right now - I like the Gabriel version of Genesis better, although "Trick of the Tail" is very good. They lost me with the "commercial" stuff. It's fine music, but the early Genesis blew my mind when I first got into them.

walrus

guildman63

Reaction score
I'm with you on all points! For anyone interested in hearing some incredible progressive rock just sample the first several albums of Genesis:

In the Beginning or From Genesis to Revelation (Moody Blues-ish)
Trespass
Nursery Cryme
Foxtrot
Selling England by the Pound
Live
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
A Trick of the Tail
Wind and Wuthering
Seconds Out
...And Then There Were Three
Duke

The music began to get more commercial with A Trick of the Tail, but still had some hints of the original sound until Abacab (after Duke) which was good, but was just too far removed from the band that introduced me to a type of music I never dreamed of, and that after more than 40 years can still listen to for days on end. Phil played drums on all albums but the first two.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Always a Phil Collins fan and very familiar with his music, I just never listened to Genesis really. Genesis music just wasn't popular in the circles I ran in back then. Good stuff.....you folks have aroused my interest.

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Genesis........a week or two ago, we were discussing songs which had a profound effect on us, or moved us emotionally. As I'd mentioned then, I'll never forget the snowy day, following the ambulance with my newborn son in it, on his way to an ICU 60 miles away down the interstate, and my father dying at the time, and hearing this song for the first time on that drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGDA0Hecw1k

West

Last edited:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Funny how you associate songs with events, times and people forever. For obvious reasons, that one surely did speak to me.

Nice one West, those kind of epic moments don't come around too often; unforgettable when they do.

West

Last edited: