Breadboard Amp Modeling Project..........

59Panhead

Reaction score
I've been working on breadboard project, for the most of the Spring. I've finally got it functional, and I'm now looking forward to a Summer and Fall of experimenting (and Winter, and next Spring). Here are some pictures of he build progress:

The underside, and the components that make it work.

Topside, with only the rails mounted for pots, jacks, switches, etc..

Rails mounted to stabilize the panel, as there's a lot of weight mounted underneath.

Breadboards mounted, though this is still a work in progress. Ideas still coming on different board configurations.

Side panel with auto-transformer, grommeted holes where the PT-CT, 5v-CT, 6.3v-CT, 12.6v-CT secondaries will attach to the barrier terminal strip (side-mount).

The OT taps (primary and secondary) will come out on the top, through grommeted holes, to be connected to a barrier terminal strip.

I began this project as an inspiration from a fellow over on the Hoffman Amps Forum. Here is my original thread, on that forum, with more detail of my progress:

http://el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=16714.msg165661#msg165661

All is wired, and I finished the octal rectifier board a couple days, or so, ago.

I have been sorting through my huge assortment of vacuum tubes, and segregated my Russian tubes from my domestic. I plan to do considerable experimentation with these tubes. Here is a list of the ones that I've managed to sort:

6N2P - Comparable in specs to the 12AX7, though pin 9 is a shield between triodes, and pins 4 & 5 are 6.3v heater connections, only. They are said to be superior tubes, with slightly higher actual gain than 12AX7's.

6P14P - EL84

6P3S-E - 6L6G

6P6S - 6V6

5C3S - 5U4G (said to be better than domestic)

6N9S - 6SL7

I'm mostly interested in vintage amps, and tend to study those schematics more so than more modern. That includes vintage effects, like Tremolo, true Vibrato, and some older analog solid state. Mostly tube, though.

The whole point of my building this tool is that hopefully I am able to hear those old amps that I cannot otherwise afford. And, when one sounds special over the others, that's the one that get's built as a custom.

I'll try to post some of the things that I do, if there is enough interest. Comments please. Have a good one.

Jack

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Haven't been involved in building, too much to do with the new house. Looks like a very versatile setup. :)

59Panhead

Reaction score
I had to come into work, to get a job done at lunchtime. Hopefully, it won't take long and I can connect the PT/Filaments to the rectifier board for an intial tube test. As well as the bridge rectifier. I'll have something to post on that, if I get home at a decent time.

Jack

59Panhead

Reaction score
I have a PDF file containing a couple small circuits, with BOM, that I intend to use as my first real test of the breadboard. However, I don't see a means to upload the drawing(s). Whenever I save them as graphics, the resolution is not good. Does anyone know of a way to attach such to the thread? Thanks. Have a good one.

Jack

Last edited: