Article on the Cordoba Takeover in the New Issue of Music Trade

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
My luthier just sent this article along yesterday, and while somewhat factually-challenged, it does contain some interesting information that I hadn't heard before. I think this is the first time I've seen in print that Cordoba is definitely committed to making the imports, notably the Newark Street line.

Last edited:

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks, Sandy. After the initial flurry of discussion (and occasional communications from CMG), things have been very quiet for the last couple of weeks (I assume we're waiting for the transaction to be finalized at this point). Good news about the Newark Street line.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Sandy. After the initial flurry of discussion (and occasional communications from CMG), things have been very quiet for the last couple of weeks (I assume we're waiting for the transaction to be finalized at this point)
I kinda thought we'd covered just about every possible point of speculation and were finally content to wait for some more "hard news" (Like this) to come out.
Not that there was anything wrong with the "speculation" (other than driving Ralf nuts :laughing: ), it's just nice to see there doesn't seem to be a need to keep re-hashing things that've been brought up already.
:tranquillity:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I kinda thought we'd covered just about every possible point of speculation and were finally content to wait for some more "hard news" (Like this) to come out.
Not that there was anything wrong with the "speculation" (other than driving Ralf nuts :laughing: ), it's just nice to see there doesn't seem to be a need to keep re-hashing things that've been brought up already.

You can say that again! :numbness:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

Al, I don't think I was speculating nor rehashing about anything here. In all the talk surrounding the original acquisition thread, I don't think that anything was said, especially in print, about the Newark Street line, which I know has a lot of fans here. I'm glad to see that Cordoba is planning on continuing that line as it's a winner. Hopefully it won't get altered substantially.

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Anyone noticed the typo: "Faas sold "Gibson" to Fender in 1996..."? :)

I did. There were a few others as well. I also noticed the reference about Jerre Haskew's lack of management chops, a sentiment echoed by George Gruhn when we visited.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Al, I don't think I was speculating nor rehashing about anything here.

Oh, not at all. Was just responding to Jeff's observation that discussion about the "change" had been quiet for a couple of weeks.
There were just a couple of questions about the fate of NS in those original threads, but this is absolutely "new hard news", sorry if I was confusing...
I think Dave got it.
Great joke too, but I won't say it again....
:wink:

Last edited:

Zelja

Reaction score
Once again some encouraging news, especially, about the NS line. They seem to be pretty level headed at Cordoba, saying all the right things. Really hopeful that it works out well. Thanks for the link Sandy.

guildman63

Reaction score
Anyone noticed the typo: "Faas sold "Gibson" to Fender in 1996..."? :)

And wasn't it actually 1995? Also, didn't production move to New Hartford in 2009? My F47M is supposed to be a 2009, and clearly has a New Hartford label. But perhaps I am just picking nits. :rolleyes:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
And wasn't it actually 1995? Also, didn't production move to New Hartford in 2009? My F47M is supposed to be a 2009, and clearly has a New Hartford label. But perhaps I am just picking nits. :rolleyes:
Sandy did say it's a bit "factually challenged".
You're correct about Fender buying Guild in '95, of that I'm certain. Everything else is just a blur anymore..

idealassets

Reaction score
My luthier just sent this article along yesterday, and while somewhat factually-challenged, it does contain some interesting information that I hadn't heard before. I think this is the first time I've seen in print that Cordoba definitely committed to making the imports, notable the Newark Street line.
Thanks Sandy, I was just about to mention that this had been quiet for a while. The Pres & CEO pictured look like straight shooting individuals. I geve them my best wishes for the future of Guild guitars. BTW that was a nice touch centering a D55 right down the middle of the article.

Craig

Synchro

Reaction score
I'm certainly glad to hear that the import lines will continue. I wish that they could all be made in the U.S. but that would place them out of my price range.

Bobo

Reaction score
Guild Total
The article only mentions that a line of premium acoustic guitars will be built in the U.S. NO mention of a top-level, U.S. electric line. That disturbs me.

guildman63

Reaction score
Ren was hired for a reason, and I have full confidence that he will do big things for Guild as part of CMG, so I'm not worried at all about what might or might not happen.

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'll just feel better when we learn that the del has closed. I don't like the idea of Guild in limbo.