D-TAR or Not?

Reaction score
Folks,
I own a standard series Guild F-30 and am thinking of upgrading to a Traditional. I've played some old 70 traditionals and LOVED them - but ended up not buying it because it looked like it needed a neck reset. I found a good price on a new F-30 Aragon with a D-TAR MS. I have never played with an internal mic and wondered about a couple things:

Does this change the sound of the guitar when played acoustically since there is a new piece of hardware in the guitar?
Change resale value?
Do D-TAR's cut into the wood of the guitar? If I decide I don't like the microphone, is removing it an option?
Anyone with raves or cautionary tales about these internal mics?

Thanks!

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
PFalcon,

I've had a guitar with the D-TAR system and I thought it was a very good system.

Does it change the sound of the guitar when played acoustically? I suppose that, at some level, it does. But I doubt that it's noticeable to most people.

Change resale value? I'd say it's a bit of a plus. A lot of people like to have a good pickup system that's "factory".

Does it cut into the wood? Aside from the transducer under the saddle having a tiny hole to pass through to the inside, I'd say No. In D-TAR (mine, anyway) the microphone is enclosed in a small rubbery capsule at the bridge end of the sound hole. I don't think you can remove it, but you can turn it off if desired. It's really pretty small and unobtrusive. It's mounted on the small arc-shaped bit of plastic which also holds the volume and tone controls for the pre-amp.

Raves or cautionary tales? Well, for me, I found it much better sounding than the systems with microphones on goosenecks inside the guitar. I have such a system (Fishman Ellipse Blend, I think) in one of my Martins.

gibsonjunkie

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have the D-Tar multi-source in 4 guitars - including an F-30. I think it's a great system and really sounds great plugged in. I played my new D-55 with the D-TAR at the last Lets Meet Guild event and folks said it sounded great! I installed one in my J-200 which I had for 10 years prior to adding the D-TAR and I really don't notice any difference when played unplugged all since adding the pickup. I would say the difference (if any) is negligible. I prefer to have it factory installed. The J-200 took some creativity on my tech's part to make it work becasue the bracing was in the way - he came up with an elegant way of doing it, but it wasn't easy.