The AP Aristocrat is here

jcwu

Reaction score
JHJ, any news on the pickups? Are these the reissue Franz with connectors?

Bing k

Reaction score
I didn't know that all three AP models were offered in blonde and Antique Burst in 2014. Very nice! I've seen the picture with the blonde Aristocrat before and I love it! It looks like it has an engraved harp tailpiece like the other two AP models, which looks exceptionally good on this guitar. And there's another difference to the Antique Burst Aristocrat: The pickguard has a bracket. I think it looks nicer without the bracket on the Antique Burst model. But all that is pure cosmetics and all forgotten as soon as you play the first note.

The Blond from NAMM does not have a an engraved harp.

Bing k

Reaction score
I didn't know that all three AP models were offered in blonde and Antique Burst in 2014. Very nice! I've seen the picture with the blonde Aristocrat before and I love it! It looks like it has an engraved harp tailpiece like the other two AP models, which looks exceptionally good on this guitar. And there's another difference to the Antique Burst Aristocrat: The pickguard has a bracket. I think it looks nicer without the bracket on the Antique Burst model. But all that is pure cosmetics and all forgotten as soon as you play the first note.

The Blond from NAMM does not have a an engraved harp. Must be reflection in the picture.

jimmyl51

Reaction score
Being that Guild is selling off these different divisions to Cordoba in California I find it difficult to believe that an AP Aristocrat is going to become available in natural let alone in sunburst........jim in Maine

mbuc

Reaction score
The Blond from NAMM does not have a an engraved harp. Must be reflection in the picture.

Ah, good to know. It really looks like it on the picture.

Being that Guild is selling off these different divisions to Cordoba in California I find it difficult to believe that an AP Aristocrat is going to become available in natural let alone in sunburst........jim in Maine

Stranger things have happened. But whoever gets it is lucky indeed. The Blonde one is absolutely gorgeous, I'd love to see a few more pictures of it.

Bing k

Reaction score
Ah, good to know. It really looks like it on the picture.

Stranger things have happened. But whoever gets it is lucky indeed. The Blonde one is absolutely gorgeous, I'd love to see a few more pictures of it.

I'll see what I can get done.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Jim, why are you so negative about the future? And what "different divisions"? All of Guild is sold to CMG.
Ralf

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The second official Guild picture from NAMM 2014 is not much better, even if you play with the brightness the tailpiece info is just lost due to the very dark picture. But it looks indeed just like a normal golden tailpiece.

916412_568708236551529_548312361_n.jpg

Ralf

jimmyl51

Reaction score
Ralf,

Not trying to be negative. If anybody LOVES old Guild jazz guitars its me. I am also very realistic regarding the economics especially here in the USA. The Newark Street models especially given their price point are good sellers. Problem with the Patriarch line is their cost. To be really frank I was absolutely dismayed to find that Guild had sold out to Cordoba in California. Will we see a reactivation of the Guild Patriarch line such as the AA and the X-550? Personally it would float my boat to see these guitars continue to be made in California. Realistically I just don't see that happening. jim in Maine

guildman63

Reaction score

Jim,

Guild has not sold anything. It was FMIC that sold all of Guild to Cordoba. There is absolutely no need to be so negative. In my opinion, Cordoba is a much better fit for Guild as they each have different strengths: nylon string guitars for Cordoba, and steel string acoustics and electrics for Guild. We should be expecting very big things from Guild in the near future, and yes, I strongly believe us jazzers have much to look forward to.

As for that blonde...spectacular! Thanks, Bing!

mbuc

Reaction score
The second official Guild picture from NAMM 2014 is not much better, even if you play with the brightness the tailpiece info is just lost due to the very dark picture. But it looks indeed just like a normal golden tailpiece.

916412_568708236551529_548312361_n.jpg

Ralf

So beautiful!

jcwu

Reaction score
Jim, Guild has not sold anything. It was FMIC that sold all of Guild to Cordoba.

Bear in mind that Jim wasn't around on the forums when all the excitement was happening, so he's probably not as caught up on all the details as some of us are. But yes, guildman is right, it was FMIC that sold Guild, not Guild selling off divisions of itself.

jimmyl51

Reaction score
Be it Fender which sold off Guild or Guild selling off itself IMHO really doesn't matter much. Bottom line is that you are NOT going to have the wonderful workers from New England building these instruments anymore. I'm not in any way trying to be negative it is simply that I have lived in both these parts of the US and really understand the work ethic in these places. Hopefully this Cordoba outfit will be successful but I would bet money that they will basically stick to the acoustic Guilds and end up foregoing the jazz guitars. I have alot of good friends from Mexico. They can build acoustic guitars no problem but archtops such as an AA?.......jim in Maine

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
"Can those Ovation guys build non-plastic guitars?"

i think we all know the answer to that question. Without any information coming in, we tend to fear the worst. We'll have to wait and see what Cordoba's strategy is. My impression is that I had better start saving my shekels because there is going to be some interesting product coming out of Oxnard.

And howabout the chance that we'll be able to buy Guild cases with humidifiers built in? ;-)

guildman63

Reaction score
Be it Fender which sold off Guild or Guild selling off itself IMHO really doesn't matter much. Bottom line is that you are NOT going to have the wonderful workers from New England building these instruments anymore. I'm not in any way trying to be negative it is simply that I have lived in both these parts of the US and really understand the work ethic in these places. Hopefully this Cordoba outfit will be successful but I would bet money that they will basically stick to the acoustic Guilds and end up foregoing the jazz guitars. I have alot of good friends from Mexico. They can build acoustic guitars no problem but archtops such as an AA?.......jim in Maine

Jim,

If you are not trying to be negative you are failing miserabl y. :laughing: As for work ethic, that starts from the top, and has little to do with where you are. If Cordoba/Guild has trouble putting out a consistently quality product in Oxnard it will be because of poor quality control, not poor work ethic of the skilled laborers in the shop. After all, New Hartford put out great guitars, and in my opinion had great people building them, yet QC was clearly an issue. As for your bet that Guild will forego jazz/electric guitars and concentrate on acoustics that may happen, but there is no evidence to support your theory. Do you not think Ren knows how to build an AA? Does Cordoba and their pool of highly skille luthiers not know how to carve a top? Does Ren not know where to find quality luthiers, and not have the ability to persuade them to work in such a nice climate? Just let me know what you are willing to bet and I am all in! :greedy_dollars::greedy_dollars::greedy_dollars:

mbuc

Reaction score
Here are a few more pics of mine. I am afraid I am not a great photographer but I still hope you can enjoy them. This guitar is such a source of joy! So easy to play and so versatile in tone, I can still hardly believe it every time I pick it up. Even unamplified it sounds very nice and is louder than you might expect from a guitar that small and without sound holes. But the real magic is in its amplified tone, there is nothing it can't do, except maybe imitating a Stratocaster. And of course it doesn't sound as fat as an L5 or a Les Paul. But still, if I could own just one guitar, this Aristocrat would be a good choice.

The last picture shows my whole Guild family and anticipates a NGD I will be raving about later.

M75-1.jpg

M75-2.jpg

M75-3.jpg

M75-4.jpg

M75-5.jpg

M75-6.jpg

M75-7.jpg

Guildfamily.jpg

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Markus, that is a great family you collected! Now you only need to update your signature and add the Orpheum Jumbo to it!
Ralf

mbuc

Reaction score
I thought you might be interested to know that there is a label inside. Nice treat! The NS Aristocrats have a ghost label under the bridge pickup as I have been told.

M75label.jpg