As a Guild fan what would be your advice to the new owners of the brand?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't Cordoba need a laminate press to produce the F-50 and F-412? I couldn't see either of those two models going away, and I definitely can't see them changing the design of those maple beauties to flat-back.
Yes, absolutely replace the D35 somebody mentioned earlier with the F50, it's at least as iconic as the D55 and in fact has been in production longer.
Also, to elaborate on Russell's comments a bit, when the D25 was introduced it was the entry level dreadnought and had a flat back, it didn't get the arched back for almost 5 years.
Let me also point out that in '96 the list price for a D25 was $1199.00 (give or take $50.00, I forget) so I think Westerlywood's $1000 "wish price" for a 2014-15 American built instrument just ain't realistic.
is the dreadnought laminated back made on a different press than the jumbos?
Neal
We tossed that around recently and although nobody's explicitly confirmed it, I think there must have been interchangeable dies for different back sizes and shapes, since I've only ever seen "THE" (implying just one) press mentioned, yet they produced at least 4 different arched configurations: dreadnought, and 3 big and little "jumbo" sizes (F50/17", F40/16", and F65ce/16" with cutaway) I'm pretty sure I also recall some F30 archbacks which I assume would have been 15" wide.
It's still in NH as Default mentioned and I'd hope it makes it back to the west coast as part of those "assets".
I think archbacks are a significant part of the "brand identity".

Neal

Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly, Al. When many people think of Guild historically, they think of big, maple arch-backs, along with 12-strings. That's why the F-50 must survive.

I also agree that producing an affordable, American-made D-25, to compete with a sea of ridiculously affordable Westerly D-25's out there, would be a tough business proposition.

Neal

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly, Al. When many people think of Guild historically, they think of big, maple arch-backs, along with 12-strings. That's why the F-50 must survive.
I also agree that producing an affordable, American-made D-25, to compete with a sea of ridiculously affordable Westerly D-25's out there, would be a tough business proposition.
Neal
Well, there is a demographic that values a warranty, that would be the value proposition for new instruments. It was a prime consideration for me when I decided to buy a "good" guitar, that it would be new, and no worries about inheriting somebody else's problems.
That's one of the reasons I'm somewhat depressed/angry about the potential for my warranties to be kaput.
I'm just gonna be patient and see what developes, but I think you've got nothing to lose in asking Fender what their position will be, they may just surprise you/us, and sat they plan to continue honoring warranties through the existing service channels.

Chaz

Reaction score
Well, you could probably really say the same about all the Westerly guitars--for the prices they sell for, it would be hard to compete with them. My point was that re-introducing entry level US-made guitars would also help with the overall awareness of the brand. Martin's satin finish 15 series seem to sell very well and gets good remarks by players, so why not do a similar thing with Guild? A lot of people for whatever reason want a new guitar, and the US-made thing is a big selling point today.

ladytexan

Reaction score
My #1 wish would be for the NH technicians and crafts folks to get a chance to be employed at the Oxnard facility. (If personal obligations allowed the NH folks to move, the cost of living comparison I posted yesterday indicates there isn't much difference between New Hartford and Oxnard - this would help ensure a smoother transition for CMG whose background is mainly nylon-stringed instruments).

I imagine the books will show what models are the best sellers and the ones for CMG to concentrate on first to ensure continuity (of sorts). Now to build the brand, I would review all of the excellent recommendations already made. I would add one more model not currently made (because of the large population of aging guitar players, and yes, I resemble that comment :laughing:), a parlor-size (true parlor size, aka 0 or 00), 12-fret, slot-head (optional), 1 3/4" nut width model (rosewood and mahogany).

P.S. Al, my F20 blonde (13 3/4" lower bout) is an arch back, too. :frog:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The idea of a new guitar is important to people who aren't us. That's the advantage of a new, low-priced Guild. Satin finished, bolton neck, whatever. Honestly, if Bob Taylor can put out a bunch of consumer grade guitars in a volume palatable to GC and Sam Ash, why couldn't Cordoba Guild?

Although I'm still sick over NH.

Sal

Reaction score
I see fewer young people with Dreadnought style guitars. So, along with an affordable D-25 I would include a similarly priced F-30. Arched back if necessary.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
P.S. Al, my F20 blonde (13 3/4" lower bout) is an arch back, too. :frog:
Ah yes, couldn't remember what yours was so went ahead and "got it posted".
I'm with you on smaller bodies though.
MY F65ce feels a lot smaller than it is, partly due to being so shallow.
But for now I'm in agreement with the philosphy of trying to keep a narrow core lineup on the market and expanding gradually.
I do think a D25 as an entry to the brand should be part of that lineup.

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
My advice would be this:

As fast as you can, produce and distribute so many guitars of fine quality that they can be found everywhere. The guitars will sell themselves.

Too many of us, myself included, have never seen, let alone played a Guild from Corona or Tacoma or New Hartford. You can't sell them if people can't get their hands on them.

Best of luck to the new Guildmakers!!! I hope you can expand enough to be a real force in the industry.

' Strang

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wouldn't Cordoba need a laminate press to produce the F-50 and F-412?
Just so you know what we are talking about. This press was the oldest machine in NH as far as I know. It’s a heated 30 ton press that came from the Guild factory in Westerly. Doesn't look like a machine from the 50ies, so New York and Hoboken seemed to have used a different one.

Fender-Acoustic-Factory-Tour-9378.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

Zelja

Reaction score
Would it be at all possible/realistic to find another, smaller, premises in the New Harford area, employ most/some of the craftsman who worked on the Guild guitars & continue to produce the quality instruments that were coming out of the NH facility? Hopefully whatever happens they take some of the "brains trust" with the acquisition. The iconic guitars & some of the improvements that have been made - 30' foot radius on tops, lighter guitars etc - hopefully continue as well as the Orpheum series.

Also I hope they keep the Newark Street line going & still coming from the same SPG factory in Korea & don't move them to China. They seem to be doing a good job so I'd like the continuity to remain there.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of good ideas here. I have to agree with Frono on articulating a strategy and sticking to it. I like the idea of Guild building a nice 12 relatively soon in an attempt to reestablish something, anything that gives Guild credibility. I also like the idea of arched backed acoustics. To my knowledge, Guild is the only manufacturer, other than plastic backed ovations, that have ever done it. And lastly, and I'll qualify this by saying that I have no experience with the Orpheum, but discover how the DV models were built and get after it. Study which Guild models were the most successful and why they were that way. The D55 comes to mind. In this highly competitive world, it will not be easy to build a quality American made guitar that is affordable, but I'm sure it can be done.

I see this as a positive thing, we'll see where Guild goes. In looking, I do notice that Cordoba does build less expensive guitars, generally speaking, but they do sell a high end model that sells for around $3500, so they must have some experience at building nice guitars. I wish them luck.

West

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Pascal, you and Al are taking synchronized-veering to new heights. :playful:Joe

...only in an attempt to introduce what I consider to be a necessary note of levity in the all too serious debate on marketing strategy and business approach speculations on the new owners of our beloved brand.

Why wouldn't they succeed? That's about all there is to say right now as far as I'm concerned, and wait for the first guitar to come out of their hands, to see if it will sound and feel like a Guild.
Given their guitar building experience, and the fact that the investment they made to acquire the Guild name is probably substantial enough for them not wanting to "blow it", I say why not?

"Qui vivra verra"! Did ya know that one?

Last edited: