As a Guild fan what would be your advice to the new owners of the brand?

idealassets

Reaction score
I'm hoping that these comments are actually worth reading, and worth any serious consideration by CMG. So how much of this so far is really worth reading?

I think the pick guard criticism is absurd (or maybe that was the original intent). If anyone is really a pick guard genius then why don't you draw an improvement and then post it?

I'll take whatever pick guard the manufacturer wants to put on a Guild. Personally I like the Guild tortoise shell pick guards so far. I'm really hoping that CMG gets something good out of the guild owners.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think the pick guard criticism is absurd (or maybe that was the original intent).
Craig, you completely misunderstood what we talked about! You really need to read what we wrote and look at the picture to understand what we talked about. We did NOT talk about the pickguard shape at all. Take a few minutes and read back post #110.
Ralf

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It has been decades since I've seen a Guild in a shop here, or an ad that indicates that a store carries the Guild brand. Perhaps representation is better in other parts of the country?
Welcome to LTG Wayne! I have been a lot in all over California for business and always tried to find new shops with Guilds...I think Southern Cali is Taylor's home area, so indeed it is hard to find shops in your area that carry (new) Guilds at all. Mark's Guitar Exchange (3233 Midway Dr. in SD and 945 Ste G Otay Lakes Rd, Chula Vista) is an official Guild dealer for instance, but I don't know if he carries anything in store nowadays. The next one is Buffalo Guitars in Carlsbad, Guitar Shoppe in Laguna Beach, and there are a few places in LA that carry some Guilds. But it is tough to find any in California in general, I agree. It is better in the Bay area, there are a few shops in the Silicon Valley area that carry them.
Ralf

Reaction score
Thanks for your note, Ralf, and your welcome. Unfortunately, Buffalo Bros in Carlsbad is closing in less than two weeks, I hear. Mark's Guitar Exchange doesn't list the brand among the ones they carry, which may not mean much. Used ones, by the way, turn up on Craigslist from time to time, sometimes with great prices. I bought my own D25 in 1974, when the Guild name was better known to the public.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Unfortunately, Buffalo Bros in Carlsbad is closing in less than two weeks, I hear.
I didn't know this. I did a quick search but there is no info on the web so far. When I was there last year they had no US made Guilds as far as I remember. They had quite a few Chinese made GAD series in the shop however, here are a few pictures from February 2014:
https://scontent-b-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t31.0-8/1655390_696224177067094_533706286_o.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd....1.0-9/1902876_696224070400438_719951419_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.....0-8/1974403_696224227067089_1935992334_o.jpg
https://scontent-a-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1620937_698132160209629_431765567_n.jpg
Ralf

idealassets

Reaction score
Craig, you completely misunderstood what we talked about! You really need to read what we wrote and look at the picture to understand what we talked about. We did NOT talk about the pickguard shape at all. Take a few minutes and read back post #110.
Ralf
"Advice to the new owners of the brand"... Perhaps a new post should have been started up about whatever the point was with that pick guard statement. How much can you expect the new owners of Guild to get out of some of this, or perhaps me for that matter- I like knowing what my esteemed peers here on LTG think about it all (sometimes).

I'm not picking on any particular person here, it doesn't make much sense for anyone to have to go back and read posts over again to get some kind of value out of it, a couple of days after life has evolved on; so then on to new fish to fry.

Last edited:

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Considering that my advice would have been to (a) find a way to keep Ren Ferguson aboard, and (b) take as many people and as much stuff from New Hartford as possible, I'd say today was a good day.

Watasha

Reaction score
Considering that my advice would have been to (a) find a way to keep Ren Ferguson aboard, and (b) take as many people and as much stuff from New Hartford as possible, I'd say today was a good day.

I totally agree with this. Touche'.

tommym

Reaction score
...... I thought with Ren Ferguson (from Gibson) on board at NH, that surely that old decorative horse / horseshoe pickguard would somehow find its way home on the F-47. Oh well.....

Seems that Ren will be staying on board with Guild after all.......so there is still hope......:witless:

Tommy

capo12

Reaction score
Let's hope that things can settle in quickly and Ren can just build some guitars. Perhaps some of what is suggested here will be considered and Guild can start to have a newer, more modern following too that will take things into the future. I bet being in California and being closer to Montana is going to be sweeter too.