Reissue (2002) Westerly M-20 opinions/info?

Chaz

Reaction score
A guy is offering me one of these. He says it's in very nice shape, but the neck angle is bad so the action is kind of high. He's asking $400 for it, so I think it sounds like it might be interesting. I could reset the neck if I need to, so I'm not too worried about that as long as I don't pay a lot more than I should.

So, what's the consensus on these vs. the original guitars? Are they 24-3/4" scale like the earlier ones (considering they went back to the braced, solid back) or 25-1/2"? Same body dimensions as the older flat-backs? Again, this is a Westerly, RI guitar--not one of the newer Chinese ones.

What say ye?

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Come on, I know someone has one of these things...

I think Scratch had one of these and it was for sale Last I heard. You might want to PM him and see if he still has it.

As for small body guitars, I'm probably the wrong person to ask for an opinion, as they're not my cuppa.

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The Wayback Machine shows that the 2001 M20 was 24.75" scale; I can't imagine the 2002 would be any different. But are you sure it's a 2002? The 2002 Guild website on the Wayback Machine does't show an M20. And wasn't Guild in Corona by 2002?

Chaz

Reaction score
I didn't even think of using the wayback machine to pull up the Guild site--good idea! It's probably slightly earlier than 2002 then, that's just what the guy thought it was.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Chaz

Reaction score
Yeah, I actually remember reading those when they were posted. Still can't really find much from people about how they sound, though. One guy said he hated his, others didn't have the chance to compare to others, didn't comment, or just noted that some of the era was noted for heavy bracing, etc. More searching hasn't yielded much more. Seems like they pretty much stuck with the specs of the original flatback guitars, but that's about all I can come up with. I was hoping someone who actually has/had both could give some input on how they sound compared to the original ones.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to give it a shot and see how I like it. The action isn't really high right now (although the saddle is too short for further lowering), so if I decide I don't like it I can probably toss it on ebay and get most of my money back out of it at the worst.

phinegan

Reaction score
I had an M-20 from that period. It was seriously over-braced and was basically the most toneless guitar I've ever owned, and I've been through quite a few guitars in my time.
If you're after the tone of a vintage M-20 from the 60's, you'll need to pay the Nick Drake premium and get an M-20 from the 60's.
By the way, I think the research is leaning toward concluding that Nick Drake never recorded with an M-20 and that it was just a prop for the photo shoot for Bryter Layter.
Having said that, I've haven't played one of the GAD M-20's - maybe they decided to stop bracing the poor little thing like a dreadnought.

Enjoy the hunt!

Dan

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've haven't played one of the GAD M-20's - maybe they decided to stop bracing the poor little thing like a dreadnought.
I just tried a new M-120 two weeks ago in a shop and I didn't like the sound. I understand it is a small body only but still no real sound coming out. I had tried one last year in the US, same experience to me.
Ralf

Neal

Reaction score
I bought a lightly-used '13 M-130 in cherry finish the other day as my new travel guitar, and after ditching the Martin extra lights that were on it for new Elixer Nanoweb Light/Mediums, I could not be happier with the purchase. It's a loud, resonant little guitar, and a perfect size for its intended purpose.

Like Ralf, I had played another M-120 in a guitar shop a few months ago and found it very boxy and thin sounding, so I was pleasantly surprised to find this one had a completely different tone altogether. Very warm and a bit punchy.

Having never played a vintage M-20 or F-20, I have no frame of reference. But at about a third of the cost of one of those, used, this little guitar is just fine by me. And I no longer have to put my American Guilds at risk on the road.

Neal

'71 D-25BR
'73 D-35NT
'77 D-50NT
'81 D-212SB
'07 F-30SB
'12 F-50SB Std
'13 M-120CH

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
hmmm...I've played two GAD's as well, and I thought they were quite nice for the price.
Walter, I am not talking about GADs in general but the GAD M-120 only. I played a GAD F-140 in the same shop on the same day and it was a real great guitar. It's just the M-120 that I didn't like too much.
Ralf

Chaz

Reaction score
Well, it should be on it's way here shortly, so when it gets here I'll have to give it a soundcheck and report back. For $400 + a little for shipping, I think worst case I can put it up on ebay for the previously mentioned Nick Drake fans and get most of what I paid back.* It's got the case too, which is nice. Real good condition besides the neck angle problem; one scratch in the top, but otherwise looks pretty good IMO.

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

*The "Nick Drake guitar" thing is interesting. I like his stuff, and it certainly sounds like there's a small steel string on a lot of songs. Some people say they remember him playing a small mahogany top guitar, some say they never remembered him playing anything like that, and one guy said that he remembered him talking about how much he liked the M20 he posed with for the cover, and as a result he thought he never had one.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Walter, I am not talking about GADs in general but the GAD M-120 only. I played a GAD F-140 in the same shop on the same day and it was a real great guitar. It's just the M-120 that I didn't like too much.
Ralf
I should have been more clear : I was specifically talking about the M120's, the two I tried were cool. I've liked the other GAD's I've played too.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I should have been more clear : I was specifically talking about the M120's, the two I tried were cool. I've liked the other GAD's I've played too.
Ah, I see, well, I guess that again confirms that buying a guitar unseen is risky as two guitars are always different. You obviously found two M-120 which sounded good, I found two (one in the US, one in Germany) that I personally didn't like too much. I tried a third M-120 at NAMM 2013 but honestly can't remember how she sounded and it was not the most quiet place either. I never tried an old M-20 (or also an old F-20), I would be interested to find one at some point to try. I also would be interested to try one of the NH made F-20s.
Ralf

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
For $400, that's a risk worth taking. Looks good.

Neal

Reaction score
I agree with jeffcoop. Hard to go wrong at that price point, unless it needs a neck reset.

Concert-sized bodies have a tone all their own, which requires some adjustment for someone used to playing bigger instruments, as they are never going to be as loud or as deep-sounding. They can be a bit boxy, and can get overpowered easily. But, again, for $400...

It is a fun size, perfect for times when you don't want to haul around a dread or jumbo, or for just keeping out on a stand and playing spontaneously when the mood strikes.

Neal