Nicky Hopkins Rhodes

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was browsing on Gruhn's site and came across a '77 Fender Rhodes used, and signed, by Nicky Hopkins. He contributed to so many great recordings through the years.

So tempted...

gilded

Reaction score
I have a '77 Stage 88 and a '74 Suitcase 73.
Which one did you want?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Its a Mark I. But the really attractive thing is that it's Nicky Hopkins' Mark I.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, and the Steve Miller Band, and almost everyone.
Here's his select discography from his site:
http://www.nickyhopkins.com/?page_id=6
An amazing musician.

(Looking at the inscription inside the piano, it appears that he just borrowed the keyboard, rather than owned it. So, it's unlikely it was part of his regular, performing gear.)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
An amazing musician.
Yep. Loved his early stuff with the Stones especially "She Come In Colors", and on Beck-ola, the coda at the end of "Rice Pudding" that almost presages the second half of "Layla". (That's where I first came across his name, at the time I didn't know he was already a respected session man)
(Looking at the inscription inside the piano, it appears that he just borrowed the keyboard, rather than owned it. So, it's unlikely it was part of his regular, performing gear.)
So that's almost a relief, then?
:biggrin-new:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So that's almost a relief, then?
:biggrin-new:
Yep, made the decision. Mind you, at $1250, it wasn't that bad a price for a vintage Rhodes in great shape ((or maybe it was, not that up on keyboard prices), but if he had recorded or toured with it, then, bring on the mojo!

My first awareness of him was from Who's Next. Then you begin to notice him everywhere. In the live recording of Volunteers from Woodstock, you can hear Grace Slick mentioning him.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yep, made the decision. Mind you, at $1250, it wasn't that bad a price for a vintage Rhodes in great shape ((or maybe it was, not that up on keyboard prices), but if he had recorded or toured with it, then, bring on the mojo!
Yep.
Episode of Pawn Stars recently featured an old, pretty run-down late 1800's antique pump organ that Steven Tyler had written "Dream On", on. (Tyler had gifted it to this fellow who'd done some work for him)
So, the fellow figured it'd be worth a whole lot more than it really was because of the stature of the song, it was also signed. Rick, the store manager explained to him that because it wasn't an actual performing icon like say one of Clapton's guitars, and because the organ itself was in pretty poor shape and not that valuable anyway, it really wasn't worth much more than Tyler's autograph....I seem to recall now that he even declined to make an offer just 'cause it'd be a hassle to handle.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I note no one is kvetching about an autographed piano and asking how to remove the signature ;-)

I saw an episode of Pawn Stars for the first, and probably only, time. Someone was trying to get $50K for a Danelectro bass that had belonged to John Entwhistle. Since there was no documentation that it was used on stage or in a recording studio with the Who or a solo project the offer was much less than what the seller wanted. Lesson learned - being owned by someone famous adds some value but being used adds seriously more - provided, of course, ownership and use can be documented.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I note no one is kvetching about an autographed piano and asking how to remove the signature ;-)

I saw an episode of Pawn Stars for the first, and probably only, time. Someone was trying to get $50K for a Danelectro bass that had belonged to John Entwhistle. Since there was no documentation that it was used on stage or in a recording studio with the Who or a solo project the offer was much less than what the seller wanted. Lesson learned - being owned by someone famous adds some value but being used adds seriously more - provided, of course, ownership and use can be documented.
It was, sensibly, signed on the inside of the Rhodes.

If the seller had done his homework, he could have found plenty of pics and film of John playing the Longhorn. I remember that auction where he bought it. Browsed the listings of John's collection many times, even thought about making a go at one of his trumpets. Sadly, finances were much tighter then.