Looong Night, Rain Rain Go Away

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
We had 26 inches of rain in 24 hours. I stayed up all night watching the water rise. We had it easy, only 6 inches of water in the garage. We have several friends who've lost everything. Sink holes all over the neighborhood though. Very scary stuff.

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
A sink hole right around the corner from my house
20140430_110922.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I live up in Milton, and although I think we got a little less rain, it still was popping. We live on a little piece of high ground, so flooding never has been an issue, knock on wood. The TV was talking about the insane number of lightening strikes per hour, I thought I heard them say 40,000 over a couple hours between Mobile and here. We were driving home from the Whataburger last night, and a huge bolt hit right next to use just off the road. I spotted.

I'm sure you saw where Scenic Hwy was washed out...crazy. That was a storm for the books. Glad you made it okay.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
We had 26 inches of rain in 24 hours. I stayed up all night watching the water rise. We had it easy, only 6 inches of water in the garage. We have several friends who've lost everything. Sink holes all over the neighborhood though. Very scary stuff.

I'd say, you had a long night! Sheeeesh! Hope things get better soon, for you folks.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Holy crap! If only there was a way to divert some of that rain slightly South..... my grass is soooo brown.
Glad you made out ok, and I'll bet the homeowner on the pic is glad the sinkhole wasn't about 20 feet more to the left.... or is it YOUR house?

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd be happy to take some of that rain. Sad that we don't get to CHOOSE where the rain falls. 26 inches in 24 hours? HOLY CRAP!! I can't even imagine. Glad your damage was minimal. That's SCARY stuff!!

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
I live up in Milton, and although I think we got a little less rain, it still was popping. We live on a little piece of high ground, so flooding never has been an issue, knock on wood. The TV was talking about the insane number of lightening strikes per hour, I thought I heard them say 40,000 over a couple hours between Mobile and here. We were driving home from the Whataburger last night, and a huge bolt hit right next to use just off the road. I spotted.

I'm sure you saw where Scenic Hwy was washed out...crazy. That was a storm for the books. Glad you made it okay.
I live south of you in G.B. I was in Milton yesterday. I drove scenic highway there and back. Crazy is right. It just started raining again. Sigh

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
Holy crap! If only there was a way to divert some of that rain slightly South..... my grass is soooo brown.
Glad you made out ok, and I'll bet the homeowner on the pic is glad the sinkhole wasn't about 20 feet more to the left.... or is it YOUR house?
Not my house thank God, but my neighbor's. The pic doesn't show it but just to the right the hole goes right up to the lady who lives theres bedroom wall. Her outside AC unit is hanging over the hole. Our neighborhood used to not flood like this until they built an expensive neighborhoood to the north of us and decided to send their run-off right thru our neighborhood.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Our neighborhood used to not flood like this until they built an expensive neighborhood to the north of us and decided to send their run-off right thru our neighborhood.

Nice!.... guess they were able to throw enough cash at someone to get this ok'd.
As if there were not enough sinkholes in FL, let's find creative ways to build some up, and preferably in residential areas. :mad-new:

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Our neighborhood used to not flood like this until they built an expensive neighborhoood to the north of us and decided to send their run-off right thru our neighborhood.

So there ya have it! Sh*t will always run down hill. Buncha jerks!

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Nice!.... guess they were able to throw enough cash at someone to get this ok'd.
As if there were not enough sinkholes in FL, let's find creative ways to build some up, and preferably in residential areas. :mad-new:
Slight veer, perhaps, but do you Florida folks ever read much Carl Hiaasen? If not, begin now....!
Read his novels and his column in the Miami Herald and see how the two are almost one. :tranquillity:

Joe

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
Imagine now if we had moved to Lillian, Alabama as we had wanted. Our friends in Lillian have no way out of their homes at the moment and the little bayou across the street from their home is now in their front yard, along with a few cottonmouths. Rte. 99 bridge collapsed and in the other direction Rte. 91 is flooded much the same. The flood waters will go away but it's gonna take awhile to repair the bridges. I'm praying that everyone will be fine.

Peace

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
Doc, I'm assuming you've been to Lillian but it's literally a wide spot in the road. The one flashing light is now a regular stoplight though, progress.

Just_Guild

Reaction score
Looks like rain is finally slowing here outside Philadelphia. Lots and lots of flooding, roads closed, quite a mess. Finally got Buddy (see Yorkie in my signature) out for a walk so he could do his business. Success!

Our thoughts and hearts go out to all who are suffering from these storms.

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
Doc, I'm assuming you've been to Lillian but it's literally a wide spot in the road. The one flashing light is now a regular stoplight though, progress.

Right. The only stop light I'm aware of is the one on Rte. 98 just before you cross over the bridge (Perdido Bay) into Florida; corner of Rte. 98 and Rte. 99. It's been a stoplight for quite some time. I travel to Lillian to visit a couple of friends of mine at least once a year. I don't think I ever paid much attention to flashing lights 'cept maybe one which is two or three miles west of the bridge. My favorite place in Lillian (as it were) is the Lillian Café where pickers are there almost every evening of the week. The place isn't hard to miss however; you can easily drive right by. It's where I first heard Grayson Capps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmRrfhsQ-3o

I love Alabama; always have. Situations just haven't been positive to make the move there but I keep thinking about it.

Peace

fretless

Reaction score
scary. i don't much care for the whole hunkering down thing either. there were tornados all around the area and state the other night. not fun