Guitar Center stopover (Blasphemy?)

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Had occasion to stop by the local GC this afternoon where I played a few Martins, Taylors, and Gibsons, plus a relatively beat-up '71 D25C. I was alone in the Acoustic Room and had a good visit for a half-hour or so.

So, which guitar stood out above the rest? This one!

37vn.jpg

Martin D15M

I was impressed with this guitar in every way from the feel/playability to the warm sound and the overall construction. Hmmm.... :tranquillity:

Just reporting in,
Joe

phinegan

Reaction score
I owned one of those when they were just called D-15s. When they first came out they were quite the bargain in the Martin standard series. Nice woody tone. I didn't care for the satin finish, though - it tended to get shiney on spots where my hands and arms rested against the guitar and got to looking pretty ratty eventually. It's now my son's guitar and just keeps sounding better as it ages.

Regards -

Dan

Neal

Reaction score
I also have a confession to make.

I visited the GC in Albany, NY last night while waiting for rush hour traffic to clear (justification).

The best guitar in the "good" acoustic room, by far, was a cracked '73 Martin D-18. It sounded so much better than the brand new D-18 hung right beside it.

But when I got to my hotel and had the Martin tone still ringing in my ears, I picked up my '71 D-25, and it more than held its own. I might go back tonight and A-B the two guitars for fun. Certainly not buying the D-18 at $1,199.

Neal

Ridgemont

Reaction score
You're right, this is blasphemy! I can not believe you went to a Guitar Center.

I bought a 000-15 in 2009, and yes the -15 series are great guitars. They are not meant to be show pieces as evidenced by the eventual shiny spots where skin regularly touches. They are meant to be bare bone boxes filled with bluesy tone…and with a little financial sacrifice can be had by most. Made in PA FWIW.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm always stopping by Guitar Center. I really enjoy it. The stock moves quickly enough that there's always something new, or maybe a new one of something they had before. You never know which brand or style is gonna come out on top. Sometimes, it's a Martin, or a couple of Martins that turn your head. Sometimes, it's a Rainsong. Last time I went, they'd just gotten in a bunch of Gibson acoustics. Every one of them sounded dead, except for one which was the BEST sounding guitar in the place. I've never played a Gibson that sounded that good. It just reinforces the idea that all guitars are individuals and should be judged on a case by case basis. Those mahogany Martins are nice, though. I have found them consistent. Maybe not the BEST sounding guitar in the room, but every one I've touched is in the top of the pile. It's fun going to Guitar Center. I know there are AWFUL GC's out there, but mine is really good.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I know there are AWFUL GC's out there, but mine is really good.
"Mine" is really good in that they leave me alone in the Acoustic Room (with the door closed) and they trust me to handle everything with care, which I do. I'm free to move around the room at will, grab a guitar and a stool and sample the wares. This is a good thing for a prospective buyer. :tranquillity:

Joe

Neal

Reaction score
You are right about that, Tom. In the very same GC last night sat another '71-'72 Guild D-25BR, exactly like the aforementioned one I had out in my rental car. Except for one thing...

The tone. Dead would be too kind of a description. To be sure, it had strings on it that were shot, but I don't think that new strings would help much. I could say exactly the same thing about a '65 Gibson Hummingbird I played last night that was dead and stinking.

Funny how that happens, and for me, proof positive that it is always best to get your hands on a guitar and play it before your money goes bye-bye.

Neal

specie

Reaction score
I played an old Gibson Country-Western that was very smooth and easy playing. Never played another Gibson I liked until I picked up a J45 true vintage at my local GC after playing a few other Gibsons there (which sounded typically wooden and boomy...in a bad way, not in the Guild way ; ), and I LOVED IT! just a lovely fit and sound, so comfortable and easy. I was very surprised! Of course it's 2x as much as my lovely Guild D40 standard. And the D40 is now 1.5 yrs old and sounding more beautiful every day. The Gibson was a fair amount lighter, kind of featherweight actually compared to my Guild. Interesting. The dread is a bit big for my body so I'm keeping an eye out for local F series to try.

Last edited:

Dadaist

Reaction score
Joe,
My go-to-guitar as of late, is a recent Martin 000-15M. All 'Hog like the Dread you played, but a bit more curvy. A very nice fingerstyle guitar that has a tone similar to some Pre-War (gasp!) Martins I've played and at a price that might buy you a Chinese Guild. I, like you, singled it out in a room full of $2k-$3k guitars.

David

Chaz

Reaction score
That was also my experience. (I think I personally favored the 000-15, though.) A lot of the more expensive stuff really disappointed me. I picked up a 000-28 and expected to really like it, but it just sounded very dull and dead. Also picked up a ninety-something J-200 that sounded really mediocre. I keep wanting to take my '81 D-25 back and do some a-b-a testing!