Newark Street M-85 review and discussion

matsickma

Reaction score
I owned a old beater of a deep body M-85 years back from the late 60's . Great playing bass! The finish was remove and it had a blond spruce top. Unfortunatly someone removed the Bi-sonic and install a Gibson single coil pickup. I was told mine was a bit unusual as the neck was solid mahogany and not the multi piece type. I remember it had a really cool "deep" filter installed that was activated by push button. It looked to be stock. Loved the sound of that deep switch. I later picked up a black deep body 70's M-85D with humbucker pickups. Very different feeling guitar. The Hoboken model had a fast thin neck. The 70's Westerly model had a chunkier neck and it was a bit squared off. Always wished I kept the Hoboken M-85 and installed a Dark-Star on it. Not much of a bass player but would like to have one of the M-85's.

M

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
!!! M-85D was what?? Experts, please chime in!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Lol, you're way too practical. I'd just like to see em side by side on the stand in my music room!

photo%25282%2529.JPG

matsickma

Reaction score
Just realized my old 60's M85 had the pup in the neck position and the NS model has the pup in bridge position.

M

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Early 70's M85D.

The next time I pontificate about a hollow M85 with humbuckers remind me of this bass which is hollow, has the deep/Hard switch and humbuckers. Makes me wonder whether Guild just slapped some electronics on a body to get it out of inventory - something they did at the JS bass end of life and probably other times as well.

As for the NS M85 with a bridge (sweet spot?) position I suggest it was deliberate. Assuming the sweet spot has the same beneficial goodness on a M85 as a Starfire, it gives that goodness and keeps the NS vibe of not trying to be a recreation of a vintage instrument.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The next time I pontificate about a hollow M85 with humbuckers remind me of this bass which is hollow, has the deep/Hard switch and humbuckers. Makes me wonder whether Guild just slapped some electronics on a body to get it out of inventory - something they did at the JS bass end of life and probably other times as well.
Honestly I have no idea what you talk about here...Sorry. Isn't the M-85-II the same semi-solid bass (not fully hollow!) as the M-85? (I am talking viantage, not Newark St.) Why do you say Guild just slammed electronics on a body to get it out of inventory? Which body would that have been ??? I am totally confused by what you said.
Ralf

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Honestly I have no idea what you talk about here...Sorry. Isn't the M-85-II the same semi-solid bass (not fully hollow!) as the M-85? (I am talking viantage, not Newark St.) Why do you say Guild just slammed electronics on a body to get it out of inventory? Which body would that have been ??? I am totally confused by what you said.
Ralf

Whoops.

First I am not being picky about model numbers so M85 I has one PU and M85 II has two. Dunno what they were officially called. 1970 was an interesting year in Guild bass land. They introduced what we now call the JS although it was probably cataloged as JetStar in 1970 and the humbucker bass PU. There are Starfires with Bisonics and humbuckers. No surprise. There are JS II basses with two bisonics, a bisonic and a Hagstrom non-Bisonic and two humbuckers. So ignoring the body change it is possible that there were M85IIs with two Bisonics, two different Hagstroms and two humbuckers. I've seen the first, this bass is an example of the third and I believe a very rare configuration. Guild discontinued the M85 for at least 1971 and when it was reintroduced it was a solid body with two humbuckers. So the "hollow" M85 differs from the solid M85 because the former is fatter and has front and back binding and the latter has a control cavity. Most of the time if you see humbuckers they will be on the solid M85 which is why this bass is noteworthy.

I've been told that unlike the Starfire which has a center block, the M85 is really a true hollow body. I have never investigated the truth of that.

Slapping stuff on is based on several non catalog instruments discussed on LTG. The most relavent to this case was the double cutaway JS body with a B302 bridge, pickguard and pickups. We have seen two of these and the serial numbers date to 1977 which was the last year of the JS and just before the B30x was introduced.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was scratching around the harddrive looking for the pictures(unsuccessfully) I have of Don's project M-85 bass. It's hollow, but IIRC, it has a block under the bridge.

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Do we know that the M-85 in question came fro the factory with Humbuckies?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Dunno what they were officially called.
I just looked in Hans' book page 94. M-85 and M-85-II. The solid body version is on page 160 and there was a M-85 I and M-85 II, later renamed to M-85-2.

I've been told that unlike the Starfire which has a center block, the M85 is really a true hollow body.
Well Hans wrote on page 94 it had a "semi-solid body". That was all I was referring to.
I know that mgod had written, he owns five M-85s and they're all quite different. Also he had a one-off '68 that was totally hollow (from Phil Lesh) as far as I understood.

Ralf

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I know that mgod had written, he owns five M-85s and they're all quite different. Also he had a one-off '68 that was totally hollow (from Phil Lesh) as far as I understood.

I think that bass from Phil also has f-holes and is fretless (or was at one time)