M85 Bass control logic - selector switch and tone/vol layout & wiring ?

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I would be very grateful for some advice regarding how thre controls on an original 1970's M85 Bass would/should have been wired up ?

My expectation was, that the wiring would be pretty much similar to standard Gibson wiring ie:-

Pickup Control Switch UP = NECK Pickup selected.
Pickup Control Switch MIDDLE = BOTH Pickup selected.
Pickup Control Switch DOWN = BRIDGE Pickup selected.

Upper Tone/Vol knobs NEAREST the strings = NECK pickup tone/vol control.
Lower Tone/Vol knobs (furtherst away from) the strings = BRIDGE pickup tone/vol control.

I have just tried out an M85 GSR and the wiring harness appears to be completely upside down compared to my expectation . . . ie:-

Pickup Control Switch UP = BRIDGE Pickup selected.
Pickup Control Switch MIDDLE = BOTH Pickup selected.
Pickup Control Switch DOWN = NECK Pickup selected.

Upper Tone/Vol knobs NEAREST the strings = BRIDGE pickup tone/vol control.
Lower Tone/Vol knobs (furtherst away from) the strings = NECK pickup tone/vol control.

I would be very very grateful if there is anyone out there who knows how an original 70's M85 would have been wired ? . . . and also whether this re-issue M85 GSR model is purposefully wired in what appears to be an "upside down" manner ?

Many thanks in anticipation

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg//ltg//ltg//ltg/images/smilies/confused.gif

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Dunno. You described the controls on a '71 JS II (minus the 'tone toggle") and I have been led to believe that the solid M85 (from 1971 on) used the same wiring and control scheme. But never played an M85 II (in either form) through an amp. Maybe Grot can comment about his solid?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That sounds like the neck and bridge pickups are mixed up (wired wrongly with each other).
(Switch up = bridge is wrong, and Upper Tone/Vol knobs NEAREST the strings = BRIDGE pickup tone/vol control is also wrong, sounds exactly the opposite as what it should be).
I can't imagine how that could have happened. Did you buy new from an authorized Guild dealer in UK or second hand? (Just to see if that could have been changed by a previous owner by whatever strange reason?)
Ralf