Anyone Here a Small Business Owner?

Derr5151

Reaction score
Hey LTGers I am in the process of starting a music related small business and would like some advice. If anyone has experience in music related retail or web based sales I would love to pick your brain. Im not exactly sure what the forum rules are but If I'm allowed to post details, but i would love to bounce some ideas off the group, maybe in the members only section.

Sad about the plant shutting down, Just as the army has brought be back to the east coast. Really bummed about not never making it to a LTG event.

griehund

Reaction score
I have owned two. My wife works for herself. I run a medium sized 501c3.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I run lights.
Can't get a bit of a bend on mediums.
****Give the man a RIMSHOT!!!***** :playful:

8o78.jpg

Joe

Last edited:

Alan_M

Reaction score
Having assisted my wife with opening her business, and running it for about 6 years (modestly successful), and being a contractor myself in the past for many, many years (very successful), my advice items are:
1) get iron clad documentation and contracts for any and everything that you do
2) if you are partnering with anyone, make sure everyone's roles and duties are clear, and that they are capable of fulfilling them. business is business. friends and family are potentially awesome employees and partners, and also potentially the worst thing ever. be able to make rational decisions on people's ability to be an asset, not emotional ones.
3) if you working out a start up budget, price all items at worst case scenario levels. Then double that figure. I'm not kidding. having leftover money is always better than coming up short.
4) when working out time frames, see item #3. when offering something that has a timeline to a customer, this is especially useful. if you finish ahead of schedule, you look like a total hero. being late makes you look like a zero, always.
5) choose partners, employees, vendors, sub-contractors, and 3rd parties (such as book keeping) wisely. no one is in a better position to rip you off.
6) plan on not making much, to any, money that will go beyond living expenses and overhead for 2-5 years.
7) plan on working 12-18 hours a day, every day. this may or may not include networking. always grab an opportunity to promote yourself/business in a social situation. if you don't engage in many social situations, start.
8) be aware that YOU now shoulder the responsibility for every little thing, from buying pens at staples to getting woken up in the middle of the night being told the water heater has broken in your store and flooded it.
9) advertise in manner suited for your business. Facebook is a helpful additional tool, not your primary advertising. Don't put an add in the yellow pages unless your target demographic is over 65, otherwise it's a waste of money. Don't bother building a website if there is no reason for someone to visit it (like if your clientele comes almost entirely from word of mouth, or if you're in a service business with an existing customer base). if you do build a website, it had better look good and WORK.
10) don't put advertising on your vehicle if you drive like a dick. if you do put it on your vehicle, always remind yourself it's there. drive accordingly.
11) do your homework. if someone suggests something for your business, take it with a grain of salt, and research the idea if you're interested. Most times it will turn out to be not worth it.
12) if you are planning on having a storefront, workshop, warehouse: location, location, location
13) don't confuse being firm with being a jerk. always be nice, but don't take any $hit. you and your business come first (when you're doing business).
14) conduct yourself with the highest standards of ethics. do what you say you will, make sure that any wrongs are always completely righted, and that you are just plain honest. nothing will earn you more respect and clientele than fair, honest, complete and quality service. you are the business and it is you. act accordingly.

Good luck! I hope that your new business is a great success!

Last edited:

Cypress Knee

Reaction score
Once you get some cash flow investigate the Individual 401K vs the SEP IRA. My accountant advised SEP IRA, which I did, only do find out if I had done the Individual 401K I would have saved much more with about the identical outlay. The difference was who got my money, the IRS or the the retirement plan trustee. Either way disposable income was reduced, but at least with the welf-employed 401k option I could put a lot more money away tax deductible.

CK

smellygoatboy

Reaction score
Moving this thread to members only, looking forward to hearing your responses.

Derr5151 Good luck with your dream. Don't be too hard with the thread reponsers, They are with you all the way and just poking you with a sharp stick to get a bite. You need to pay up front for your goods, no consignment. As the politcians and suits in government say " start with a big business and we'll soon turn it into a small business for you" with all the rules and regulations that keep changing the playing field. Again good luck. J

Last edited:

Derr5151

Reaction score
Already so much good advice for the LTG family. I have pretty thick skin from being in the military, and will take all of the advice with a grain of salt. You guy have been there and have first hand experience as business owners. Alan_M Thanks for all the great advice, a lot of key points to consider. I will keep everyone posted as this comes along, the more people trouble shoot the better off I will be as I develop and re define my business plan.

Derrick

geoguy

Reaction score
There's some good advice here, particularly from Alan_M. IMO.

Have you heard about the Small Business Administration's "Small Business Development Centers"? They can provide you with free or low-cost training, & advice from retired business owners/executives. Topics include business-plan writing, finance, marketing, sales.

I found them useful when I started my current business over 20 years ago, perhaps you will too. Good luck with your venture!

http://www.sba.gov/content/small-business-development-centers-sbdcs

Alan_M

Reaction score
There's some good advice here, particularly from Alan_M. IMO.

Have you heard about the Small Business Administration's "Small Business Development Centers"? They can provide you with free or low-cost training, & advice from retired business owners/executives. Topics include business-plan writing, finance, marketing, sales.

I found them useful when I started my current business over 20 years ago, perhaps you will too. Good luck with your venture!

http://www.sba.gov/content/small-business-development-centers-sbdcs

Geo's right! I attended some workshops locally and they really were a great source for education on business ownership. And they were free!