Guild F46-NT, George Gruhn design.

tommym

Reaction score
My old Gruhn designed F44 was the crowned jewel of my Guild collection. I really miss that guitar. Not sure why Guild has shied away from the Gruhn designed thinner 16" body small jumbo over the years, but it was the lack of these guitars in Guild's lineup that eventually forced me to branch out to other brands. I can still get a thinner 16" body small jumbo from a lot of manufacturers including Martin, so all is not lost. For now my New Hartford built Guild F30 Standard and F30R Standard keep my feet firmly planted in the Guild camp.

Tommy

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My old Gruhn designed F44 was the crowned jewel of my Guild collection. I really miss that guitar. Not sure why Guild has shied away from the Gruhn designed thinner 16" body small jumbo over the years, but it was the lack of these guitars in Guild's lineup that eventually forced me to branch out to other brands.
They didn't, the F47 and F40 were still being offered (albeit granted with fractions of an inch of variation from the Gruhns) up until close of New Hartford and the entire line of Fxxce's (ike my F65ce) was based on the outline.
Suspect the body style just got overwhelmed by dreadnought demand in the '90's and 2000's, then it seems like the OOO's got popular.
But I feel ya, it's my biggest gripe with Oxnard right now:
NO GA body.

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
my biggest gripe with Oxnard right now: NO GA body.
But...there are plenty available used from New Hartford, so unless you really want to spend the big money for a factory new one, why not just buying a good used one from New Hartford? (I read you bought all you guitars new.)
Ralf

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
But...there are plenty available used from New Hartford, so unless you really want to spend the big money for a factory new one, why not just buying a good used one from New Hartford? (I read you bought all you guitars new.)
Ralf
Realizing you may have missed what my real desire is:
I want an F40 body with a 24-3/4" scale neck (as on early F45/65ce's) with a 1-11/6 nut. (Never spec'd anywhere I've seen, on F40 outline).
Something that was never made according to the specs I can find, or have seen reported even as an off-spec build, and for which I might have even considered a nice used example... SO hoping Oxnard will eventually re-instate the GA body and make a special order option available to get that neck I want.***
I used to think I wanted a maple archback which also doesn't exist in other brands, but now think I'd really like it to be an F47rce/shortscale.
In the meantime I don't worry about spending the money since the only thing I want doesn't exist.
Nice way to cure the GAS, eh?
:glee:
*** Your recent revelation that a Doyle Dykes model may be under consideration for -re-issue rekindled that hope.
:friendly_wink:

Oh yes, almost forgot, beyond that, was my belief for about the last year that the F40 "platform" yielded more models than any other Guild platform (until you finally composed a more comprehensive list of dreadnoughts than I could).
So I still believe it's a crime for Oxnard to abandon such an important platform in Guild's heritage.
It's an open bleeding wound in the lineup that will only be healed if F40 lovers unite and rise up in outrage, demanding that Oxnard honor its place in the brand's proud history!!!

(it's ok to laugh now)

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Realizing you may have missed what my real desire is
O.k., you are correct, I remember some of that now. But that is the problem, a marketing guy at CME might just be willing to offer the body size but misses the scale length you like. Oxnard seems to accept special color options at least! Nikki Lane got a custom M-40E !

66711087_432884607568355_7359250550123959983_n.jpg

Ralf

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
O.k., you are correct, I remember some of that now. But that is the problem, a marketing guy at CME might just be willing to offer the body size but misses the scale length you like.
And in the meantime I'll just keep making do with the trusty ol' F65ce with its garishly long and blinged-up neck.

Oxnard seems to accept special color options at least! Nikki Lane got a custom M-40E !

66711087_432884607568355_7359250550123959983_n.jpg

Ralf

Needs v-block inlays and a G-shield.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah digging that color.. That model would look like a uke on me..