New Hartford

Chaz

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I meant. Realistically speaking, I wasn't going to buy a new NH Guild--but it still sucks they closed the shop down.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Does this mean all the current inventory of NH Guilds will be labeled as "seconds" and go out through MIRC without warranties and with lower prices? It's happened before. Could pick up a smokin' hot deal on a NH Guild..... :cocksure:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
So is Ren getting his resume in order? I assume, with his name he is safe.

I think that Ren could hang out a shingle anywhere (likely back in Montana) and do just fine Jonathan. He's at a point in his life that he can do pretty much anything he wants to do. I imagine that a lot of the other workers there are skilled enough to go into guitar manufacturing just about anywhere, but a large majority of them have roots in New Hartford, and it's a beautiful place to live. It certainly won't be easy for them to pack up and leave.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
That was my first thought as they are already there in China.

I suspect that sourcing would be too unpredictable over the long term (geopolitical issues) and that Ensenada's a safer bet, but I wonder about Corona? Seriously. The wording of the press release implies there will still be a US built source.
Or maybe they've closed a secret deal to buy Gibson and they'll be back in Nashville?
THAT would be historically consistent.
Sorry, my snark's runnin' away with me again.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Tough news and I am sorry to hear of the jobs that will be lost in New Hartford. In all fairness though Fender did take over Guild almost 20 years ago and have saved the brand and kept it going this long. Maybe someone else can somehow buy the Guild brand from Fender and start a new chapter. Also I think the Asian Guilds for the most part have been successful and people are generally happy with them. Not sure how that plays in to the picture. I do think though, either way, the market for a $3,000 or so Guild made in the USA in 2014 is, in all honesty, pretty small. The world is a lot bigger than this forum. Although I have only heard good things about the New Hartford instruments .

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
You can slap whatever name you want on them and they'll still be disposable guitars.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It's awful, and getting ridiculous too. It's almost like someone at Fender had a very old grudge to settle with Guild. Westerly all over again. Corporate greed is going to kill everything nice in the end.

jcwu

Reaction score
Westerly all over again.

I wasn't on the scene when Guild was moved out of Westerly, but if Guild survived that, what's to say the brand can't survive this move? It's hard, but... they managed before.

I realize this doesn't make things any better for the workers who are now shafted and without a job.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
So I don't have to suffer the angry old man charging at me with the cane up in the air, I'll make a collage of what I think sums this ugly mess in the most accurate manner.

Thank you Fender again
It's awful, Corporate greed is going to kill everything nice in the end.
Another example of an "out of touch" corporate decision. Happens every day
Business is as business does
I love capitalism. F the worker.
We are two, J. That's all what I'll say...
they throw skilled, dedicated employees out with the corporate garbage.
I blame the bottomless American greed.
Corporations and their Boards have sucked much of the spirit of our American manufacturing out the door and into the third world. Boards play it safe, have a few too many lawyers involved (apologies to any of you in that profession) and hide under the mantle of the corporation. When things are going bad, they fire the division head, lay off employees and shut down plants - rarely do they fix the problem. And oh yeah, they make sure they get paid for the privilege.
FMIC has been in the clutches of predatory holding companies who make it their business to ensnare other companies, loot their assets, and send the proceeds, leftover jobs and cheapened brand names offshore.
Sorry if this crosses the political line, but when it just slaps you in the face like this there's no point in not acknowledging it.

(Two years ago month for month, I was in the current N.H. worker's shoes, thanks to the dirty word: Corporate "CONSOLIDATION")

Kim: PM sent

Last edited:

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I wasn't on the scene when Guild was moved out of Westerly, but if Guild survived that, what's to say the brand can't survive this move? It's hard, but... they managed before.

I realize this doesn't make things any better for the workers who are now shafted and without a job.
As long as FMIC's corporate headquarters feel like they're making some money (or losing the exact amount they'd otherwise give to the tax man..), they'll keep Guild going, I'm sure. I do wonder at what point corporations like that start worrying about their public image in relation to a brand and its potential "consumers".

Right now I'm just really surprised and amazed. I think once I get to read the ad copy that "explains to us why Guild had to be moved yet again" and that the guitars "will be better than ever before", I might get a little angry. Or nauseous.

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Crap ! And with Doyle on board too...Going to cling on to my Guilds. Wonder what this'll do to the used market . Steffan

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Does this mean all the current inventory of NH Guilds will be labeled as "seconds" and go out through MIRC without warranties and with lower prices? It's happened before. Could pick up a smokin' hot deal on a NH Guild..... :cocksure:

I think this may have been already happening "under the radar" if you know what I mean. Not seconds, not MIRC, but smokin' hot deals with questionable warranty provisions.

Yoko Oh No

Reaction score
HEY FENDER....

mooning.jpg

geoguy

Reaction score
Sad news. Particularly hard to understand given the rave reviews of New Hartford acoustics, & the various Guild electrics.

Today I also received a "Guild Newsletter" via email, advertising the "sweet & balanced F-30 tone".

My fantasy would be that Guild's New Hartford employees either buy the rights to continue building their fine guitars, or strike out on their own & start their own business.

crank

Reaction score
Well I'm glad I got a NH Guild if only for the fact that it was made in my home state.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I believe they will be still producing US Guilds in a smaller qty at another Fender shop here. The dude at Fender me to believe that only ovation and hamer are totally dead.