Fender to close New Hartford operations

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's not like FMIC has ever shown themselves to make the smartest corporate decisions. Too much listening to marketing weenies.

Geotrio

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Unfortunately Guild is not a government agency that can simply print money or raise taxes. Or a company with connections that gets taxpayer funded grants (ESPN, UTC, etc) to operate in this once small-but-mighty industrial state. No...businesses and individuals die after they are bled out. NH is done. Not sure what Guild's plans are moving forward.

Maybe the State of CT can build another busway and throw us all a few UCONN championship basketballs in exchange for our souls.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
My guess is Pac Rim. If I can't buy an American Guild product, I'm not going to buy the others, just on principle.

Watasha

Reaction score
If they shut down Guild in the USA then I guess I'll be buying Martins or Gibsons. I may go that route anyway even if Guild is still around in the US. The constant moving around has turned me off BAD.

jthrel

Reaction score
I'm stunned at the decision although I certainly don't have access to the data that convinced FMIC to bring down the axe.

I would encourage a little reflective silence on the burden this will bring to the craftsmen and their families in New Hartford - THAT my friends is the REAL tragedy.

Al

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If they shut down Guild in the USA then I guess I'll be buying Martins or Gibsons. I may go that route anyway even if Guild is still around in the US. The constant moving around has turned me off BAD.

Or you could buy old Westerly guilds, they are all over the place...

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm stunned at the decision although I certainly don't have access to the data that convinced FMIC to bring down the axe.

I would encourage a little reflective silence on the burden this will bring to the craftsmen and their families in New Hartford - THAT my friends is the REAL tragedy.

Al

good point al, thanks for that perspective.

silverfox103

Reaction score
yes, maybe Fender is just moving Guild US to a cheaper location for them in the US. Like to Dallas or Phoenix....

Sad to see people loose their jobs. I hope they stay in the US, but I think that is wishful thinking. Moving around like they do, doesn't seem to make sense. They ought to think before they move.

I think I would rather see them fold, rather than get watered down, again.

Tom

Watasha

Reaction score
I wish FMIC would just sell the brand. I don't understand why these big conglomerates buy these brands only to close everything down. Sell the brand to someone who actually cares about it.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Al
This is a tragedy on so many levels, but the fact that quite a few really good people have been cut loose and are soon to be unemployed is probably the worst of it. That FMIC makes bad decisions is a historical fact. That they devastate peoples lives every time they do it is .... shameful. What a sorry Tuesday this is......

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I wish FMIC would just sell the brand. I don't understand why these big conglomerates buy these brands only to close everything down. Sell the brand to someone who actually cares about it.

Maybe we could all buy it?

steverok

Reaction score
Wow. This is very heart-breaking. Sincere condolences to the employees and all of us Guild lovers as well.

crank

Reaction score
Wow. Heart breaking is a good description.

griehund

Reaction score
The way I heard it, FMIC has been sold. Efficiency experts have been analyzing the plant for several weeks. Fender is no longer owned by a music company.

steverok

Reaction score
Is there any good that could possibly come of this ? My complaint with Guild has always been "where are they" ? I can go to music stores and find Martin, Taylor, Gibson (and others) everywhere, but no Guild. The NH plant sounds like a real gem to me. I wasn't crazy about all of their design decisions, but I liked a lot of what they were doing, and could see the quality of their craftsmanship. I just hope this isn't the end of USA Guild.