F-30, D-55, F-512 review by Guitarist Magazine

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I just watched this again and I'll watch it....again. :applause:

Aside from the great looking/sounding Guilds, it's just a very well done video. Lots of other good links too. Let's see, where my bookmark?

Thanks for posting,
Joe

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Which instrument, pray tell, did Mrs. Fro choose?

Interesting observation. I would have expected there to be a sonic difference between the F-30 Aragon and the F-30 Std due to the differences in the soundboards (red vs. sitka spruce).

Neal

F30 Traditional. She didn't like the white binding, didn't care about the difference in nut width and under the circumstances no one else could hear a sonic difference that mattered to anyone. Having been around a number of sincere audophiles, I have to believe that there is either a lot of BS out there about subtle nuances in sound or my ears just are not sensitive enough to hear many things that make a difference to others. I have been in several situations where people claim to hear differences based upon tone woods that I cannot. All this is to say that there may be a difference based upon the top wood but no one heard or remarked about it at the time.

Since this was triggered by a comment about marketing I will reiterate that from a marketing standpoint, if two products are "different" but one is not obviously "better" it can make sense to eliminate one from the product line.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
+1
Consider the apples and oranges of the field. :tranquillity:

Joe

To veer, from a logistical standpoint I want to stock as few product variations as possible because the variety increases my costs. However thanks to decades of Burger King telling us we can have it our way, there is an element of market success that depends upon customization. Whether this is good or bad depends upon how much patience you have in Starbucks when the person in front of you orders a Vanilla Latte, extra hot, with an extra shot of espresso, 1/3 soy and 2/3s milk and then complains that the barista got the drink wrong. In the specific case of guitars I expect that the variety offered in a standard product line will diminish as the ability to accept and produce custom instruments improves and increases.

jcwu

Reaction score
To veer, from a logistical standpoint I want to stock as few product variations as possible because the variety increases my costs. However thanks to decades of Burger King telling us we can have it our way, there is an element of market success that depends upon customization.

Yes. Even In 'n Out has a secret menu.

Neal

Reaction score
Thanks, Frono. I chose an F-30 Traditional as well, primarily due to the fact that one was available at an attractive price at the time. They and the F-40 are less "blingy" than the than the F-50 Traditional, so there is a certain difference to them visually that makes them bear a closer resemblance to the F-30 and F-40 Standards.

But unlike the F-50, the F-30 and F-40 Traditionals are topped with red spruce. To me, that makes them different than Standard Series F-30's and F-40's from a marketing standpoint, as opposed to the F-50 Traditional (sitka) compared to the F-50 Std (sitka).

So, I personally think there is room for both, if the price point for the Standard Series makes it an attractive option. And based on the tone of the one above, there are plenty of musical reasons to buy one.

Neal