Is this nut original?

Dennis

Reaction score
IVNut_zpsfe655981.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

SF6, HB-109. Also, the color looks orange/brown to me. What would you call it?

IV_zps99b01717.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks,
Dennis

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hello, Dennis, and welcome aboard!

I don't think that nut is original, but I can't say that with certainty. I.e., the nut itself might be original, but I have no idea what those round pieces of metal (?) are in the holes between the strings. I can't say I've ever seen that. Is it some sort of pickup system?

Dennis

Reaction score
They are decorative 'jewels,' glass no doubt. Two are missing. They look like they've been there forever, and it's my understanding that Guild did some odd things back in the day. This is HB-109, so an early specimen.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
SF6, HB-109. Also, the color looks orange/brown to me. What would you call it?

IV_zps99b01717.jpg
[/URL]

Hello Dennis,

Welcome! That should be serial # DB-109 and the color looks 'Cherry' to me, but if you tell us what the complete model designation is that's written on the label, we should be able to figure this out.

But to be honest ....... I'm more interested in the 'Custom' truss rod cover. Looks like a 'Special' guitar to me!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited:

Dennis

Reaction score
serial_zps5b7307dd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Yup, DB-109, also engraved into the back of the headstock, and the label says 'Brown' Do you think the nut is original? Two of the 'jewels' are missing, but they look original to me.
Thanks,
Dennis

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi Dennis,
welcome to LTG!
You got a wonderful and special Starfire VI guitar from 1966.
I never saw this "Custom" truss rod cover before. The only other one with the same outer shape was on a George Barnes AcoustiLectric as shown in Hans book page 81.

George+Barnes02.jpg

The nut needs probably to be replaced, the slots look very wide to me. Somebody loved his diamonds!
Ralf

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
a tip regarding the nut from Jim Campilongo:

THE NUT

Although I seem to burn through the hardest substances available, a good nut rebuilding trick is to apply some Super Glue and (seriously) a bit of baking soda in the string slot. This rebuilds the nut slot and sidesteps having to buy, install and break in a brand new nut.

source: http://jimcampilongo.com/about/gear.php

that guitar looks pretty sweet! i concurr with CC_Mac, in that it *appears* maple.

cc_mac

Reaction score
a tip regarding the nut from Jim Campilongo:

THE NUT

Although I seem to burn through the hardest substances available, a good nut rebuilding trick is to apply some Super Glue and (seriously) a bit of baking soda in the string slot. This rebuilds the nut slot and sidesteps having to buy, install and break in a brand new nut.

source: http://jimcampilongo.com/about/gear.php

that guitar looks pretty sweet! i concurr with CC_Mac, in that it *appears* maple.

That's a great tip! I've used that method a number of times on guitars where the owner wasn't cashed up to have a nut made. And I should be honest, It takes about one too many strokes with the file to screw up a nut and I've used it to fix my own work. Although I've not tried it, I've read corn starch will work at the "filler" too.

The guitar doesn't appear to have that stripy hog look to it and if Hans is right that it's amber that would be a very cool guitar indeed. Better/additional pics would be welcomed from the owner.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
I may be mistaken, but the picture of the label on Photobucket, seems to have the word "Brown" on it. Although, what would be the "B" looks like an 8?