Road Test - M-75 Aristocrat

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Steve, I forgot, what kind of 17" you got? What kind of pickups?

The mighty T-500 with the Seymour Duncan Franzes.

IMG_4100.jpg

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Never bitterly complain about Guild's lack of a product, because then you have to buy them when they appear.

lol.

Synchro

Reaction score
They are special winds from Duncan, but you can order them.

I wish I could find more of those mini humbuckers that are on my Starfire. I think those are some of the most happenin' pickups I've heard in a long time. I'm a Filterton addict but those mini hums might be the start of a new addiction. :)

gilded

Reaction score
If I ever hit the jackpot, you bet! They are rare and pricey. Not all of them have standard scale length either.

One of the most memorable guitars I ever played was Gobel, fully acoustic, not even a floating pickup. It was incredible.

I always thought the Gobel L5 had a 24.75" scale.

I knew a guy in NYC back in the '70's, who had a left-handed Gobel. He used to flip it upside down (so it looked like he was playing a right-handed guitar) and exclaim, "The Poseidon Adventure!" This was 1974-ish, so the movie and it's upside down Ocean Liner Disaster Movie Concept was only a couple of years old.

He had a lefty D'Angelico, too. Mr. Wayne Wright, good, funny guy, great Jazz Rhythm player. Played with George Barnes and Ruby Braff, then later with Les Paul.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
If I have the story correct, they were modeled directly from a Franz that was sent to S-D from New Hartford. I've not played a Franz equipped guitar, so I don't have a reference point but they sound very good!

Reaction score
I think you need a shot of the GSR Starfire VI next to that GSR T-500. I know you can or have done that.
Thanks John

Synchro

Reaction score
I always thought the Gobel L5 had a 24.75" scale.

I knew a guy in NYC back in the '70's, who had a left-handed Gobel. He used to flip it upside down (so it looked like he was playing a right-handed guitar) and exclaim, "The Poseidon Adventure!" This was 1974-ish, so the movie and it's upside down Ocean Liner Disaster Movie Concept was only a couple of years old.

He had a lefty D'Angelico, too. Mr. Wayne Wright, good, funny guy, great Jazz Rhythm player. Played with George Barnes and Ruby Braff, then later with Les Paul.

I've heard a number of things about the scale length on the Gobel. As long as it's not Byrdland length I'm ok.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
They are special winds from Duncan, but you can order them.
Correct, Guild had special ordered them from SD for the GSR T-500 model. I met Maricela "MJ" Juarez from the SD Custom Shop at the SD booth during NAMM 2013. She is the "Abigail Ybarra" of SD. MJ works for more than 30 years for SD and she was the one handwinding the Franz copies for the GSR T-500. She told me that anybody can call the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop and she can wind more such Franz copies on request. You won't see them at the SD webpage, but they are there for anybody to order through the SD Custom Shop. They are about $100 plus shipping each.
Ralf

billydlight

Reaction score
Here's a nice little review I did btw a Vintage 50's and a new one

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IKF8M72h_4k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Synchro

Reaction score
Thanks for the review, Billy. I think that they sounded pretty close. FMIC has gotten pretty good at reverse engineering vintage instruments and creating new production based upon that. I know that my NS Starfire III is an awesome sounding guitar. I took it to band practice last weekend with a Winfield Cyclone amp, a Boss FRV-1 reverb (which isn't so bad if you back off the tone and the dwell, a bit) and I was thrilled by the sounds.

The M-75 is a bit bright for my tastes, but it sounds absolutely great for the Rockabilly stuff. In my current band I would never be able to use one, but in other playing situations I think it would be pretty useful.

Jorj

Reaction score
Oh boy...gots ta get me one of those..M75 has a very unique sound. Was trying to think of a good comparison for the tone...but cannot. It's got it's own vibe. Dig it!

Synchro

Reaction score
Oh boy...gots ta get me one of those..M75 has a very unique sound. Was trying to think of a good comparison for the tone...but cannot. It's got it's own vibe. Dig it!

I know what you mean. It's in a class by itself.